Chapter 20: Showdown

We did it. We left Dutch. It still doesn't feel real. I know Hosea is sad about leaving Dutch behind, but I couldn't see any way out of it.

Hopefully we will be able to find a way to go west, and then gather everyone together.

--------------------------

"You alright, Charles?" The man had looked guilty since they crossed the Lemoyne border heading towards Van Horn.

"I just wish Javier would have come with us."

"I know, me too. But he's smart, and Tilly knows how to get in contact with us." Through Hamish and Charlotte, of course. "He's certainly welcome to join us at any time."

Arthur kept glancing over his shoulder, worried that Micah would try to follow and shoot them for being traitors. Or Dutch, in hopes that he could either convince them to return or figure out where the others were hidden.

But the ride was quiet, as they continued towards Annesburg. Arthur stopped at the stables to get more supplies and treats for Dakota. Then, as he looked over the small mining houses just as the sun was beginning to set over the hills, he stopped.

"What's wrong?" Hosea asked.

"The Murfree Brood. There's a group of them holed up at Beaver Hollow." The last place Arthur wanted to return to.

"A dangerous group of maniacs," Charles said. "What about them?"

He was thinking about the girl from the stagecoach, trapped with the Murfrees for days, forced to watch the others tortured and mutilated. He could save that girl so much pain. "I was thinking about taking care of them. Charles, will you ride with me?"

"Of course." Charles may have been a little confused on the reason, but he was always willing to help Arthur out. Hosea went to get them a room at the inn as Arthur and Charles rode into the woods.

And when the last of the Murfree Brood died under one of Charles' throwing knives, Arthur breathed a sigh of relief. Another loose end taken care of, another life saved. Despite his failures since he had returned to Colter, and he was sure there were many, he hoped he had helped more people than he hurt. Most of his family was still alive, he hadn't destroyed the Downes family, or any family in debt with Herr Strauss.

The next morning, they rode the rest of the way to Wapiti. Rains Fall greeted them warmly, and even Eagle Flies looked happy to see them there. But regret and sadness lingered, and before he even asked, Arthur knew.

"Has anything changed with your situation," Arthur carefully asked, but the Chief shook his head.

"It seems that we have many on our side, but it's not enough. News of our troubles have made it all the way to Washington, but…"

"But Cornwall is a powerful man who wants this land," Arthur finished for him.

"And now, they are sending the army into the area, creating more conflict with my people."

"I wish there was something I could do."

"You've already done enough, Mr. Morgan. Have you met Captain Monroe? He has been a great help to us." The familiar captain extended his hand.

"Pleased to meet you, Mr. Morgan."

"This is Charles, and Hosea." The men shook hands before Rains Fall led Arthur away to talk privately. He overheard Captain Monroe beginning to explain the situation to Hosea, the older man thinking deeply about how to help. Though, if Arthur was honest with himself, there was nothing to be done.