Chapter 5

1.2  The Jenna Thing

The Grill

It was after Alison's funeral and me and the girls were in the Grill trying to digest the events of it. We were all still in our all black atire. It would have felt good sitting there. The five of us after a whole year split up but Ali was gone and although she was a bitch it didn't mean there wasn't an invisible hole where she was supposed to be.

"Why was Jenna there?" Aria asked, echoing our thoughts out loud.

"I guess she's back." Spencer replied.

"That cop acted like were suspects or something." Hanna added, changing the subject from one creepy event to the next.

"Do you think we looked guilty?" Emily wondered.

"Why would we?" Aria responded, unsure of what to say or do to reassure Emily. "We haven't done anything wrong."

"Except lie about the Jenna Thing." I stated the obvious. I was there when it happened it was when me and Ali weren't friends still friends. It was back in freshman year when Ali was assembling her "friends" and had chosen Spencer so I had come along to. I had to make sure Ali wasn't up to her old tricks and I barely trusted her.

"We promised we'd never bring up the Jenna Thing again, remember?" Spencer harshly said, half glaring at me for bringing it up. "It never happened."

"Have you found a way to forget?" Aria asked, looking directly at Spencer. "I still wake up sometimes in the middle of the night-"

"Aria it was an accident." Spencer fired back, hints of anger and remorse filling her voice.

Hanna was putting alcohol into her drink through a flask. She was completely oblivious to the tense atmosphere surrounding her. I managed to catch her attention and she put a few millilitres of the alcohol in my glass. The guy behind me was looking at us almost annoyed at our antics.

"It's medicinal." I said to the staring man, he raised his eyebrows at us knowing the truth. Why do people do that? Raise their eyebrows knowing the honest answer but wait until you say it. If you already know the truth then why ask?

"Cramps" Hanna stated, knowing how to get us out of. Thank God.

"I don't get it." Emily said, after we had stopped looking at the ugly man. "How does -A know something mabout me that only Alison knew?"

"Ali knew all or our secrets, but... we never knew any of hers."

"I knew some." I stated.

"Spill." Hanna urged. The rest of the girls looking at me intently waiting to see what I would spill.

I sighed, I knew I had to spill. I had  walked into that trap, but it didn't mean I didn't feel like I was betraying Ali.

"Ali was seeing someone. An older boy I don't know who but I think they were in some sort of toxic relationshipas Ali never wanted to talk about it and would act scared or nervous when I brought the subject up."

"I knew she was keeping something from me... from us." Emily amended.

"Well. Why didn't she want any of us to know." Aria piped up.

"Er, it was toxic and he had already girlfriend." I responded.

"Who was it?" Emily asked.

"I don't know." I replied, "She would never tell no matter how many times I asked."

"That's only half a secret then." Emily said, she seemed annoyed at me but I wasn't sure why. I ignored her.

"How is it that Ali told us nothing, and we told her everything?" Aria asked.