If raindrops were kisses

You smiled when you heard the unmistakable sound of rain-laden clouds. You loved the rain!! However, when you leaned out the window, Mr. Sun greeted you, radiant and warm. There was not a single cloud in sight.

Your smile only widened.

If there were no clouds but you could hear the storm, there was only one answer: your girlfriend was nearby.

You blushed at the thought of that word. You had only been dating for a few weeks, but the thought of Pepa Madrigal made your pulse race and your cheeks redden. The red-haired woman was a force of nature, literally, and it was inevitable for you to gravitate towards her.

You quickly put on your shoes and left your house, ready to find her. By this time of day, she should have finished her tasks in the village, so you wouldn't interrupt anything (Alma Madrigal could be quite scary, thank you).

"Hi Julieta" you greeted the older triplet "have you seen Pepa?"

"Hi Y/N" she smiled at you "I think I saw her heading to the grasslands"

"Thanks!"

You ran as fast as your legs would allow you, with a big grin from ear to ear. Your mother always said that you were too cheerful for your own good, but hey! enjoying life wasn't bad, right? It wasn't your fault that you enjoyed the little things, like pretty rocks or freshly cut fruit, or raindrops.

However, your smile fell a bit when you found the redhead sitting hugging her knees against her chest and a black cloud above her. It wasn't raining yet, but it seemed only a matter of seconds.

"Pepa?" You approached her carefully.

You didn't want to scare her, but whatever was bothering her had left her in a very nervous state. You barely managed to blink when lightning struck a rock behind her. Her green eyes looked at you in surprise and it hurt your heart to see how she quickly tried to force a smile on her freckled face.

"Y/N! Hi" she giggled "w-what are you doing here? How long have you-"

"I just got here" you smiled at her "Your sister told me that she saw you walk over here so I thought I'd come and keep you company"

"Thanks, but you didn't have to"

"But I want" you insisted, sitting down next to her "Unless you really want me to go" you added a little late.

"No, no, no...you are perfect"

You sat in silence for a couple of minutes. The redhead never relaxed, and you couldn't stop looking at the black cloud that was getting bigger and bigger. You wondered when the first drop would fall.

"Hard day?" you asked carefully

Pepa looked at you surprised, questioning with her eyes how you could have known. It wasn't until thunder sounded above her head that she remembered that her emotions were on display for everyone, all the time. But she couldn't let them win, especially not with you by her side.

Look, if she was perfectly honest, she cared about you, a lot. You were the first person who tried to get close to her and her siblings simply because you wanted to be their friend. You never tried to get any of the triplets to show off their powers. You never asked Bruno to see your future, you never demanded that Julieta cook something for you soon to heal a scratch, you never tried to force her to change the weather.

You understood that of the three, only Julieta was able to control her gift at her will, while Bruno and herself were dependent on the vagaries of the future and emotions respectively.

And still, you stayed. You stayed with them, with her. You never expected anything more than friendship. And then the four of you had grown up and she found herself wanting more than that. Fortunately, her siblings were with her, supporting her as she took the courage to ask you out.