One - Reaping Day

Thalia's POV:

I only have one thought as soon as I wake. Reaping Day.

Today is the reaping which means 24 kids will be sent to die unless someone volunteers for them. However, that is highly unlikely for the two kids that will be chosen from my district because not even once in all of the Hunger Games History has District 12, my district, had a volunteer.

District 12 is also known as the poorest district in all of Panem and the seam, the place where I live, is the poorest part of District 12 which makes it the poorest part of Panem.

There are some pros of living in District 12 though. So long as we meet our coal quotas the Capitol doesn't care about us and neither do the peacekeepers. Which brings me to where I am now.

Heading out the door of my small shack and going towards the woods. You see hunting is "illegal" in all the districts and in District 12 there's an electric fence that's never really powered on. So, my best friends, Katniss Everdeen and Gale Hawthorn, and I hunt in the forest daily.

When I get to the fence, I listen for a buzzing sound but don't hear one, so I know it's not active. After going through the hole in the fence, I grab my knives and bow and arrow from a tree stump. 

I spot a deer, the first buck I've seen all year, and I draw back my knife ready to throw when a voice behind me said, "Thalia looking good as always." And just like that the deer was gone.

"Gale!" I say angrily. "That was the first deer I've seen all year now we have nothing to eat."

"Chill out love, here." He says before throwing a rock into a bush. Immediately, a flock of birds flew out of the bush, and I let my knife fly.

However, alongside my knife an arrow pierces through two of the bird's stomach. I turn around and smile. "Nice of you to join us Catnip." I say to my other best friend Katniss.

"Good to see you too, Knives." Katniss says hugging me briefly before going to grab our kills.

"So," Gale begins with a smirk on his face. "She gets a hug, and I don't?"

"Yep," I smirk making the p pop. "Maybe it's because I actually like her."

"You wound me love."

"Gale stop flirting with Thalia and help me set this snare." Katniss came back saying, rolling her eyes.

"Why of course my dear Catnip." And off he went to help Kat.

I chuckled softly under my breath as I stare at my two friends who were currently arguing. I don't know what I would do without them because without them I would most likely be dead. You see, they've kept me from going off the deep end while I've helped keep their families alive. We help each other and always have sense we met. 

Matter of fact, the way we met was quite weird. At first it started out me and Katniss. Our dad's where really good friends so we grew up together. And when our dads died in the mine explosion, we became even closer.

Then, we met Gale. I immediately took a liking to him, but it took Katniss a little longer to open up to the older boy.

But now, we're the perfect trio. Katniss is the head-strong, serious one who often thinks with her heart and not her head. While Gale's the fun flirt who is always there for us no matter what but when needed he can be serious. (Also no, me and Gale are not dating he just likes to flirt with me instead of Katniss.) And then there's me. I'm known as the "Guardian Angel" of our friend group and District 12. I sort out problems, am kind, and always there to help and look out for everyone. I think with my head and not my chest, I use logic and kindness to solve problems. It's just who I am.