Chapter 1: The Hot Contractor

It's too hot.

Lauren adjusts her gigantic sunglasses, scowling at the sun.

Normani, with her impeccable dress shirt, doesn't seem to mind – she looks fresh and smells like oak trees, and who smells this good on a day like this?

Lauren doesn't know.

Anyway. There's someone by her side, holding the gigantic floor plans up.

Normani smiles. "Miss Jauregui, this is the contractor I've told you about."

The person puts the plans on the table – it's not who Lauren was expecting.

Definitely not a bearded man.

This girl is still her 20s and she's not particularly imposing, brown hair in a tight ponytail, white muscle shirt, lean body, strong arms glistening in the sun.

"Camila Cabello, this is Lauren Jauregui." She gestures between them. "Miss Jauregui, this is Camila."

The girl smiles like life is not actually a horrible weight on anyone's shoulders and offers her hand.

Lauren shakes it. "A bit young, don't you think?"

Normani's smile doesn't falter. "Camila and I have worked together for the past four years, Miss Jauregui. I have complete trust in her work."

"Don't trust appearances," the girl says, looking Lauren right in the eye.

The nerve.

She turns to Normani. "You know my standards, Miss Kordei." She gives a side look to the girl. "I don't care if it's born out of inexperience or incompetence, I will not tolerate errors and delays. If anything happens, the both of you will be promptly dismissed."

She doesn't even flinch – she appreciates this about her. Any other architect would have quit at least two beach houses ago. "Of course, Miss Jauregui."

--

She appears in Lauren's office in unnecessarily tight jeans, surprisingly thick rimmed glasses and a folder under her arm.

"Good morning, Miss Jauregui," she says with a bright smile, extending the files.

Lauren sets her coffee down and takes them. "And what would this be?"

"I thought you would be interested in having a copy of the permits I'll submit and the detailed floor plans. I also added a brief CV of the people in my team and the subcontractors I intend on hiring, and a portfolio of the buildings I've been the lead contractor in the past two years."

Lauren flips the pages, scanning the document.

"Normani told me you'd like to host your Christmas dinner in your new home. I believe that's possible."

Lauren raises her eyebrows. It's the kind of impossible deadline she lives for.

"I'll email your secretary a formal written arrangement by the end of the week. It should have a detailed timetable, a material list of everything that will be needed, a tentative payment schedule and warranties. Oh, and a broom clause and my disposal plans for leftover material, of course."

"Well, Camila, you seem to have thought of everything," Lauren has to give her that.

The girl smiles, chest puffed like she's never been this pleased.

Her assistant lingers by the door. Lauren gestures for the creature to speak.

"Miss Jauregui, Jon Stewart on the line. Should I ask him to hold?"