Chapter 2: The Unattainable Employer

Liam serves her a beer. "Don't do it. Don't text her."

Camila whines, lowers her head to the counter, and shoves her phone in his hands.

Sofi appears by her side, runs a hand through Camila's hair, scratches her scalp just how she likes it. "He is right, you know."

Camila groans and tries to shove her aside with her shoulder, but Sofi is built like a ninja and doesn't bulge. "The ball is in her court now, little sis'."

"It's been a week!" Camila says, voice higher than usual. She chugs her beer. "You don't just kiss people and leave! Who does that? I am not a bad kisser!"

"Maybe she doesn't know what to do," Liam offers, cleaning the counter in swift gestures. He's smiling, just a little bit, like he's having fun with this.

Camila sets her bottle on the table with a thud. "She is Lauren Jauregui, the Queen of All Media! Have you read her Wikipedia page? The woman does not know doubt it."

Liz shows up behind Sofi, an easy hand on Sofi's hip. "Maybe you should step up your game, as they say."

Camila frowns. "I don't get it."

Liz kisses the spot just below Sofi's ear. "It's all a matter of strategy, little one. She's trying to remain in control of the situation. A woman like that is used to having people obeying her every wish."

Makes sense. Even Liam stops to listen.

"You have to break her resolve, then. Seduce her, taunt her, until she can't take it anymore and gives in to the Cabello's charm."

Sofi rolls her eyes, but there is no bite to it. "You think you're smooth, don't you?"

Liz shrugs.

--

Two weeks go by.

She sends her usual photo updates to inform Miss Jauregui on the electrical and plumbing subcontractors.

Miss Jauregui does not answer.

--

It's still weird to see Liz in anything but dark and casually menacing business outfits. She looks like an alien in a bright orange top and gym shorts.

"Focus." She says, watching over Camila. "You're not breathing properly."

"Yes, General." Of course Camila is not breathing properly. She is lifting 100 pounds. She is sweating and she wants to die .

Fifteen more repetitions and Liz seems satisfied. Camila huffs and almost, almost gets in a fetal position on the floor.

Liz offers her hand to help Camila stand up. "Time for crunches, little one."

Camila nods in defeat.

"Your media queen won't be able to help herself when we're through," Liz says, more to herself than anyone else.

Camila blushes anyway.

--

She already had to fire two people that day.

She sighs, running her upper arm on her forehead to catch the droplets of sweat.

She hates firing people, but she can't risk giving Miss Jauregui anything less than perfection. She hasn't fallen behind schedule so far, and she's not about to start now.

She positions the wood saw and stretches her fingers. Her gloves itch.

"Camila!"

She looks back and it's Dylan, running in her direction.