Chapter 4: The Longest Wait

Their Carcassonne game lies forgotten.

Camila blushes and blushes and blushes .

Liam looks like a proud papa, that fool. "I didn't know you had it in you, Mila."

"The potential was always there," Liz comes to her defense, giving everyone their beer bottles. "But the 'like anyone could ever compare' line was a..." She stops, searches for the word.

"Mic drop, honey." Sofi cuts in, poking Camila in the ribs.

Liz agrees, distracted. "Yes, that."

Normani just laughs, having way too much fun.

--

Camila bites her lip and presses her phone to her ear. "So?"

She can hear Liam sigh. "I delivered it."

"Yeah, but d—"

"Yes, Mila. Calm down." He gets assertive. "She liked them. She even smiled a little before sending me away."

Score.

Camila beams. "You, sir, are the best secret agent."

"I know," Liam answers, affectionate. "You owe me one. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a club to run."
——

Dinah Jane is a shark.

She can smell trouble. That's the only viable explanation to how she shows up precisely 4 minutes after Camila's flowers have been delivered.

Lauren's running the tip of her fingers over the lilies' delicate petals, basking in their lovely aroma, when she hears the door closing.

Dinah is there, sharp and gorgeous in red lipstick and a black pantsuit. "Ooh, flowers!" She doesn't even try to hide her utter delight. "Is there something you want to tell me?"

Lauren pretends to consider the question. "No, not really."

Dinah serves them both a glass of whiskey and sits in front of Lauren. "Is that from your special suitor?"

"Yes," Lauren answers, "if you must know. They just arrived." She can't avoid the corners of her lips lifting in a tiny grin, but she does hide it by taking a sip.

"Oh, she means business," Dinah says, looking at the vase. "Beautiful and harmonizing with your office's décor."

"It was a nice touch," Lauren says, leaning back on her chair.

Dinah looks at her like she's about to say something – but the woman got Lauren figured years ago, and she knows when to wait for more information. She sips her drink, waits.

Lauren inhales, exhales, before she can put it into words. "Should I worry about the Imagine Me and You reference?"

She can see Dinah's brain making the connection, eyes wide. "Oh my God, Lo, white lilies mean—"

"Yes." Lauren hums. She looks at the flowers, eyes avoiding Dinah. "I dare you to love me."

"Brazen. I love it," Dinah breathes out, fascinated

"How do you feel about that?"

"I wouldn't know," is Lauren's honest answer. She sets her glass delicately on her desk. "It feels good to be wooed. " She pauses, measures her words. "She's incredibly good looking and, for once in my life, she's someone without an agenda."

"But?"

Lauren sighs. "She's a pretty young thing who doesn't know what she's getting herself into. I'm twice her age, with kids and a demanding job, I'm a public personality and I've got a commercial flight worth of baggage."