Prologue;

Time travel. Not something you thought was possible, until it was.

For years you had been trying to come up with a possible way to go into the future or into the past. You were smart, always had been when it came to science. Even though you had all this talent, you never pursued it. You always assumed that you weren't good enough to pursue the career or that you would never get anywhere with it anyway.

Your parents had made you a small lab in the back garden (more like a shed) which you frequented more than your bedroom, for someone your age that was not the norm. Your best friend, AJ, would always be around, fiddling with little creations you had made, most of them not functional.

AJ was a great guy. He would constantly be there for you and made every effort to be the bestest friend you could have wished for. He was straight and above board with you, which you liked, a lot.

"Please tell me you aren't seriously thinking about it."

AJ knew your interest to invent time travel, or at least the concept. He knew you were more than capable but also understand that maybe, you didn't fully understand just how complicated it could be without support.

"Why are you so obsessed with messing with time? Have you seen the movies?"

He was right.

"Yes, I've seen the movies." You sighed, putting down a screwdriver, going to sit down opposite him.

"If you are that serious, go try and get a Stark Industries internship." He joked; I think.

Stark Industries, the world of opportunities. Making people go from nobody to somebody. It was no secret that that was the dream, the end goal. To eventually work for the infamous Tony Stark. However, doubt would creep in, and you'd assume again, that you weren't good enough. Someone like Tony Stark wasn't going to give the time of day to a twenty-two-year-old who never went to college and had some impossible elaborate theory that time travel could exist.

"You know that I can't." You reached for your bottle of fizzy drink.

He moved over to you on your side of the sofa, holding your hand in his, "Why not?"

"He would never take me seriously, have you seen that man?"

"You don't give yourself enough credit. You are literally talking about inventing time travel, and you are second guessing yourself?" AJ squeezed your hand.

"Because it's a silly pipedream, AJ." You slipped your hand from his and stood up, making your way over to your countertop, turning on the lights. "There isn't enough here for a concept like this to even work."

"But with Stark's help, you could." AJ moved to your side, holding the device in his hand. His face tilted to the side as he was looking at it, watching the cogs turning as they glowed a green colour. "I mean, you made this."

"There's a component missing, and I don't know what it is." You grabbed it from his hand and placed it into a box, where all your other inventions were stored.

"Don't you dare put it in there and forget about it!" He grabbed your box and took it out, putting it into your hand.

You looked at it, the middle of it turning around on its own, the green lights radiating from it. It was quite literally something out of a sci-fi movie. Then again, it felt like you were living in a science fiction movie most of the time, what with superheroes and aliens causing havoc. You were young when the devastation of New York happened. Plus, you were on the other side of the Atlantic. You don't remember much apart from the news reports and the huge loss of life. Some people blamed the Avengers for what they did.

You didn't want to be an Avenger, that was clear in your mind.

"I'm not going to forget about it. I just need time to think." You simply said, putting it back in your box.

"Stark." AJ said, pointing at you as he grabbed his bag before closing the shed door behind you.

Staring at the box you quietly repeated him, "Stark..."