Chapter 2;

"I'm sorry – "

"Forty seconds." Tony still did not look up from this computer.

"I assumed I already had the internship. This is just a standard interview to see what I'm capable of."

"Twenty seconds, Sweetheart."

You just didn't understand. If you had already had the internship, why was he being like this.

Wait.

He wanted a project to work on, that was it. He was looking for someone to work closely with. Zak must have piqued his interest too because he came out with a huge smile on his face. Ten seconds, you thought. I have ten seconds to peek Tony Stark's interest.

"I think I can invent time travel."

He looked up at you, for the first time since you arrived in the office. He closed the lid of his laptop and sat back on this chair, scratching his beard as he thought about what to say.

"Not possible."

"You of all people should know that nothing is impossible, Mr Stark."

He smiled but not one that reached his eyes, he was amused at the situation. "What makes you think you have what it takes?"

"You gave me a chance, Mr Stark. A chance to prove myself. This is me proving myself." You wanted to be snarky back to him, but you needed this more than anything. You had to stay professional.

"If you think you can 'invent time travel', why not just do it yourself?" He almost seemed bored of the conversation and that frustrated you.

It was now or never, "Because I need your help. There's a component missing, and I don't know what it is, I find out what it is and I'm there. Time travel will exist."

"Component? You have already made the device?" He was interested now. He stood up and walked over to your side of the desk, sitting on the edge. "Do you have it with you?"

"I don't really carry round things like that."

Tony Stark was close to you now, your knees almost brushing each other's. He was a remarkably handsome and clever man. That much you always knew. He had a reputation for being a sarcastic, intolerable playboy. However, if he was going to help you do this, you could be partners. Working with him would be a dream come true.

"Hm." He moved from your side and towards the door to open it for you.

You collected your things and went to exit his office, "I'll be in touch, Miss..."

You told him your last name and he repeated it. Closing the office door behind you as you reunited with Zak. You must have looked as happy as he did when he came out earlier because he knew straight away that it had gone well.

As you walked towards the elevator to take you back down to the first floor you had been telling Zak about what happened with your first encounter with Tony Stark. Zak almost got the same treatment as you, apart from he had ninety seconds to talk. It must've been Stark's patience wearing thin.

"Hey, I was wondering if you maybe wanted to catch some drinks with my friends and I tonight?" He saw you go in on yourself a little bit, "I understand if not."

"No, that sounds great, I just don't know the city very well."

"Where are you staying? I will come and get you later, I don't drive but we can get the subway together." He suggested as you walked out the front doors of the Avengers tower.

"I'm in a hotel called the 'The New Yorker', on 34th and 8th."

"I'll be there at 7?"

"Sure."

And with that Zak took off into the street of Manhattan. You liked Zak, from what you knew of him so far. He seemed sweet and kind, not something you expected on the first day at the tower. Maybe he could show you round the attractions and must-see spots, as a tourist you had to indulge.