Chapter 5;

After you had woke up with a thumping head to your alarm going off, you had taken last nights makeup off and got ready for the long day ahead of you. You had done this many times before, after a long night of drinking, go to work. However, the difference was that was in retail and not in a science lab with Tony Stark.

You called for a cab to the Avengers Tower and watched as early morning Manhattan went on with their day to day lives. The trip was only short, and you paid your cab driver. During the ride, you thought you were going to die multiple times. The drivers in NYC really had no mercy to give.

You scanned your lanyard as you walked into the building and walked into the elevator. You were on the way to Tony's personal lab, you assumed that's where he wanted you to go. All you had been thinking about since waking up was him. His sarcastic, handsome and insatiable self.

"Wow, Sweetheart, you look rough."

You hadn't even stepped out of the elevator before he started on you.

"Good morning to you too."

"Please tell me you've had a coffee; I can't have you falling asleep on me today."

"I haven't, Mr Sta – Tony," You corrected yourself, "But I can assure you I will be fine."

Tony hummed at you in response and looked down at what was in front of him. It seemed to be a hologram of some sort. It was in the shape of a clock.

"Bit on the nose, don't you think?" You quipped. You put your bag down on the chair across the room and made your way over to him.

"What's on my nose?" He smirked at you and dropped the hologram. He sat down next to you and asked you to explain everything you had already done, and he asked to see your device.

"And you made this?" He fiddled with it in his hands, looking very unimpressed. Brilliant.

"Yes."

He stood up and took it over to a device in his lab, it seemed to be able to read what was involved in the making of it and how it came about. I mean, he could've just asked you, but I assume he didn't trust you enough for you to tell him the truth.

"Is there something wrong?" You asked, lifting yourself from the chair but he moved his hand behind him, so you would stay where you were.

"It's remarkable."

The air was taken from your lungs, you almost felt a tear well in your eyes. Tony Stark thought you were remarkable. No. He thought the device was, not you.

"You truly mean that?" Is all you asked, a frog caught in your throat. All your life you had been waiting for a moment like this. A moment in which someone truly believed in your work and how capable you truly were. Not even you could see that sometimes.

"It needs work, of course, but you really do have a talent."

"Thank you, Tony."

The rest of the day was the two of you working together to figure out what was missing and how it could be incorporated into the device.

Never in your wildest dreams did you think you would be sat here, so close to him. Your arms grazing one another's as you theorised and spoke about different scientific endeavours that you had tried to complete in your shed, back at home.

You missed home more than ever right now. Not being able to jump into AJ's arms and scream, cry and rant about how amazing everything was. AJ always believed in you, and you want to thank him more than ever for always pushing you.

Your parents weren't too bothered either way, they wanted you to be happy but thought that the scientist 'thing' was just a phase. That you would find a 'proper' job one day.

"Are you alright?" Your thoughts were taken from you by Tony's soft voice. The softest you had ever heard him speak in the short time you had got to know him.

You nodded slowly, "More than you realise, I think."

"Don't tell me you are big time fan of Iron Man?" He got up from where you two had been sitting for a few hours and went over to a button on the wall.

"Something like that." You shrugged.

"JARVIS, could you order some Chinese. Me and the lady have been in here for a few hours and we are hungry."

"Of course, Mr Stark."

You looked up towards the ceiling, scared and startled at where the voice had come from, "Does that come from the walls?"

"Sort of – he is my AI."

"Of course he is," You whispered to yourself.

You hadn't even heard what Tony had said to the AI about getting Chinese food. You also hadn't realised what time it was until you looked at your watch.

5:30pm

Had you really been in this lab with him, talking for that long? It didn't seem possible. Almost like the time had flown around you. Pardon the pun.

"Time has got the better of me, I better be out of your hair." You started to collect your things and put your lanyard around your neck so you could exit the building.

"I have just brought us dinner, but if you insist on leaving, then I suppose it's more for me."

You fumbled with your hair and looked up at him, "Dinner?"

"Yes. We haven't eaten all day."

"I can eat at the hotel."

"Whatever you want, Sweetheart."

"I do have a name, you know?"

"Getting cocky now, are you?"

"Sorry, Tony. Long day, almost no sleep, you know how it is." You placed your bag back down and signed, "I'll have Chinese with you."

"Great."