2. lost in the woods

chapter 2

chapter 2. lost in the woods

warnings: nightmares, mentions of panic attacks. also i didn't edit this.

SHE was standing in the middle of a dark forest. The trees were towering over her, trunks so thick and leaves so expansive that they completely covered the sky above. The sun could've been shining above her and she wouldn't know.

   There was something sinister inhabiting the woods. She knew it by the chilling feeling in her gut. What it was, she did not know, but she knew it was dangerous. It was close.

   Flash. A little boy's scream echoed around her, so high pitched she could feel vibrations in her skull.

   Flash. Her hands were shaking.

   Flash. Cold water streamed around her.

   Max woke up with a start, heaving, clutching the covers to her aching chest.

   It was just a nightmare.

"WHAT was this one about?"

   Max and Henry were discussing the nightmare she'd had as they were walking to Granny's to meet with Emma and Mary Margaret. She'd been recounting her nightmares to Henry the morning after she'd had them for a while now. She'd been hesitant to at first, but now she did it eagerly, because she always felt better after she'd let it off her chest. Henry, of course, had his own theory about what the nightmares. He thought they were connected to the curse — that these dreams were old memories of hers that were trying to break through — and even though Max didn't believe in the curse, it was comforting to be offered an explanation to the things that had haunted her for so long. With Henry, she allowed herself to live in that reality for a while.

   "I never really remember," she said. "They feel so clear when they happen, but then they just slip away from me. Besides, it's not so much the content that makes them scary, but the feeling they give me..." Max frowned, and Henry offered her hand a comforting squeeze. "But I was in that forest again, and there was someone screaming, then... I felt water stream around me."