7. sweet poison

chapter 7

chapter 7. sweet poison

warnings: angst, some people are dying, you know, the usual.

MAX and Henry were sitting beside each other in a booth at Granny's, Henry's storybook spread out in front of them, sharing breakfast, when Emma walked in and sat down opposite to them.

   "Hey, what's the emergency?" she asked.

   Henry immediately shushed her. "This is sensitive," he whispered.

   "If it's sensitive, why are we at Granny's out in the open?" Emma whispered back.

   "I was hungry."

   "Who else knows that we hide the book in the sheriff's station?" asked Max.

   Emma frowned. "No one. Why?"

   "Someone changed it," said Henry, slowly flipping through the pages in front of them. "There's a new story in it."

   "Why would someone add a new story?" Emma asked.

   "To tell us something we need to know about the curse," said Henry.

   "And what would that be?"

   "I don't know," he said honestly. "The story isn't finished."

   "Why would someone go to so much trouble to add a new story and then not bother finishing it?"

   Max rolled her eyes. Now that she was fully on Henry's side on the curse, she could finally tell how stupid all the adults in their lives really were when dismissing it. "We don't fucking know that, that's the point of this meeting."

   Emma's expression fell slightly, something close to guilt washing over her face. She looked at Henry, maybe expecting him to defend her, but he didn't acknowledge it. Henry was far too polite to have uttered Max's words himself, but she suspected he was actually thankful that she was there to say them.