11. history

chapter 11

chapter 11. history

warnings: light violence, like half edited.

"NOW, just think how happy Emma and Snow will be when they come home to find that you've become a proper knight," said David, patting Henry on the back as he led Max and him through the stables. "Say hello to your steed."

   They had stopped in front of the first stall in the building, which contained a white, brown-speckled horse. Both Max and David reached out to pet it, Henry hesitatingly following their lead.

   "Is he really mine?" he asked.

   David nodded. "Yep, this one's yours."

   "So... how do I get on him?"

   "Oh, you're not riding today."

   Henry frowned. "I'm not?"

   "No," David shook his head, "there's much to learn before you hop in the saddle."

   "Like what?"

   "Well, every morning you'll have to muck out his stall," he informed. "Then you'll brush him and feed him. After school, you'll do it again. Every day, twice a day."

   Max's eyebrows rose, though she kept her eyes on the horse. "Did Prince Charming really muck out his own stables?" she asked, adding a mocking regal accent when pronouncing his nickname.

   David hesitated. "No... but I did back when I was a shepherd."

   "I thought you were teaching Henry how to be a prince, not a shepherd."

   David took a deep breath, most likely trying to maintain his patience. "Taking care of the horse builds an essential bond, the trust between knight and steed," he said.

   Max rolled her eyes. "Yeah, I know. I've ridden horses before. Calm down, I'm just teasing."

   "You have?" Henry's voice echoed from beside her.