024.

It's that damn migraine again that stops Marianne from going to Charlottetown with the Barrys.

Well, it would be too much to say she was looking forward to the journey, especially considering the fact that she would surely have to spend it squeezed between Anne and Diana's little sister... Still, it could have been nice to be given an occasion to get away from Green Gables (and the overwhelming presence of Nathaniel and Mr. Dunlop). And see Edward, of course, never mind him surely being busy enough with school.

None of it matters now, though, since it was yesterday that she's seen Anne off, the redhead waving excitedly through the back window.

She spent the remains of the day in her bed, yet it was far from enjoyable. Marianne couldn't find the right position and ended up turning and trashing in the covers. Honestly, it truly felt like a day wasted - neither did she do anything of importance, nor managed to rest. Actually, that may have irritated her even more than the actual headache itself, though it was definitely at fault too.

So today, right after helping Marilla to clean up after breakfast, Marianne turns to the woman with a question.

"Do you suppose you'll need me to help with anything today?"

"I do not think so, no," comes the answer. Then a few seconds pass and Marilla's brows furrow, making it seem as though she was angry, though it's worry that causes her features to change. "Why do you ask? Are you feeling ill again?"

"Well, no more than I did the moment I woke up. You need not to worry, Marilla, I assure you."

"What is it, then? And speak plainly, child, Anne's way of speaking is already confusing enough for the two of you."

"Truth is, I've gotten quite used to her presence in the house, and, though I find it quite surprising myself, it's hard for me to imagine what one could do without hearing her cheerful chatter all the time. I know she is to return later today, but I thought it would be nice to finally make use of the fine paint set Edward sent me a while ago. Perhaps I could paint something for him outside, the weather is so nice today..."

"You want to paint?" Marilla sounds surprised, but it's not something Marianne could blame her for. Even she cannot remember the last time she held a brush in her hand, it must have been months. And never since her arrival at Green Gables, that's for sure. "And what is there to paint here?"

"The fields look quite lovely, enough to make one miss being surrounded by them. And I know that Edward does miss it here, indeed. Besides," Marianne's voice falters a little as she glances back at the stairs, where Nathaniel disappeared sometime ago, "it will be nice to spend some time away from it all."

Something in the way Marilla's face changes tells her that the older woman understands, even though Marianne didn't even mention either of them.

Because, what the girl really means is that it would be nice to spend some time away from their boarders, practically strangers living under their roof, feeling more and more like intruders with each passing day. Their presence is making her uneasy all the time, and the fact that Marilla and Matthew decided that it is time for the two to leave is bringing her only little comfort.

"Well then, I don't think I'll be needing you today. You may go, as long as you promise me to be careful."

"We both know I'm not brave enough to try and do things that could cause me harm, Marilla." She did run into a burning house, though. "But of course you have my word. I won't go very far and you'll probably see me at dinner. After all, I wouldn't want to miss hearing Anne tell us all about the trip."

🌼

At first, she didn't even spare the construction a proper glance.