034.

Marianne supposes there is no right mood when it comes to one hopping a freight, but the one she's in now seems particularly unfitting.

Her mind has been entirely elsewhere for the last two days. Ever since her last quarrel with Gilbert, she cannot focus on anything for longer than a few minutes and even those few become a cause of serious irritation. To be honest, she doesn't know what to call it - the word 'conversation' doesn't even come close to describing what occurred between the two of them, yet 'argument' seems unfitting either, this one seeming to have too strong a meaning. It's a situation she's never had to face before.

There was never a boy Marianne liked the way she does Gilbert Blythe.

The next day after the incident, Marianne didn't attend school due to a headache (the entire day, she was feeling sick to the point of throwing up, yet it still seemed like a saving grace, because it gave her an excuse to stay home and at least try to get her thoughts together). Anne was the one to tell her that Gilbert wasn't there either, and now it makes Marianne wonder whether he, too, decided not to go because he didn't wish to see her after all the things she had said. She's always had a tendency to overthink even the smallest things - and it's most definitely showing now.

So, Marianne wasn't there when Anne came up with her plan of saving Miss Stacy from losing her new job at Avonlea school. She didn't hear it the first time it was mentioned at loud, but the younger girl took grate care to involve her in it anyway. Anne practically begged her to join them on their secret (something Marianne worries about now, knowing that Marilla will find out about their little escapade sooner or later) trip to Charlottetown.

When she agreed, Marianne didn't expect to be made to jump to one of the wagons attached to the train to the town. Of course, one could say she should be aware of Anne's unusual methods after knowing her for such a long time - but living under the same rood didn't stop Marianne from looking at the other girl with wide eyes when she announced the way they would travel; Marianne was fooled until the very end, she even had her money hidden inside her pocket to pay for their tickets.

She's clutching it in one of her hands right now, as the train appears to be slowing down. Possible scenarios of being caught red-handed and severely punished filling her mind and heart with fear.

"I'm going to go to hell because of this."

Marianne whispers it quietly, just an expression of her current thoughts, but Anne manages to hear her words anyway.

"Come on, it always worked in those books I've read," the younger girl tries to reassure her. "We shall be completely fine."

When Anne opens the wagon, however, someone is already waiting.

"What are you doing here?"

"I figure I should ask you the same question."

Marianne's first instinct is to smile, because greeting Gilbert Blythe simply cannot be done any other way. And then she recalls their quarrel, and the corners of her lips stop halfway. She bites the inside of her cheek as her eyes, filled with uncertainty and a sudden feeling of shame, watch the others hop off the train, Ruby's face becoming bright red when it's her turn to accept Gilbert's hand.

Marianne hesitates when it's hers.

"Come on." She notices Gilbert's extended hand shaking a little. "We wouldn't want do get caught, would we?"

It's not much, but Marianne is pleased to hear him say 'we', even though she is the one travelling illegally. Perhaps it's a good start - single word being enough to cause that newfound wall between the two of them to begin crumbling.