025.

Marianne agreed to meet with Diana and Ruby because she thought it might actually do her some good to leave the house and occupy herself with something else than replaying those dreadful events over and over in her imagination. What she did not expect, however, was that Anne would see this as an opportunity to read aloud Matthew's letter, the one she had snatched from his room earlier.

Honestly, the moment her redhead friend pulled an envelope out of her pocket, Marianne doesn't really know what to make of it. But, with more and more words escaping Anne's lips, more anger builds up in her.

She loves Anne. She truly does, of course, with all her heart. But, right now, the feeling of adoration is darkened with something else. Marianne cannot help but feel irritation towards the girl. She's well aware that Anne tends to act on impulse, without thinking things further. That she sees the world in a different way than all of them, therefore acting with best intentions, yet somehow in an inconsiderate manner.

Undoubtedly, that's the case now. Anne's sure that her doings will do Matthew good, that he will be more than glad in the end.

"Have you ever heard anything more romantic?"

"What does it mean?"

"Don't you see?"

Anne's question seems ironic, considering the fact that this time it is her who is blind.

"A widow, who believes her days of love are behind her, is suddenly reacquainted with the kindest, most wonderful man, who she knew at school, only to discover that he has lived his whole life without the bliss of true love."

"They knew each other in school? Why, Gilbert and I knew each other in school."

Hearing Ruby's cheerful voice, Marianne can't help cringing internally. She doesn't really know why exactly - after all, this isn't far from the Gillis girl's usual adoration for Gilbert Blythe - she's just feeling rather irritated today. Perhaps she should get back home and occupy herself with something else instead of ruining her current companions' moods; she's sure Marilla would find her some tedious chore to complete.

The fact that Diana doesn't seem too thrilled with this whole story either brings Marianne only little consolation.

"Maybe Matthew's been wanting for Jeannie this whole time."

"Why isn't he writing her back?"

"He doesn't have the words."

"It would be awful to live a life without true love."

There's that familiar look on Anne's face. The one she always wears moments before a great idea escapes her mouth: calculating eyes lighting up and corners of her lips curling up.

And then she springs onto her feet, announcing, "I will be an agent of romance."

"How can you be sure that Matthew and Jeannie are in love?"

Diana's question is reasonable and it takes Anne a moment to answer.

"Well, I do have my ways of finding out. But I'm positively convinced it is true..."

"Does it really matter, Anne?" Marianne's voice comes out far more bitter than she intended it to. Suddenly all eyes are on her and she is quick to regret the decision to speak out, yet it's too late to quit now. "Well, what I mean is, it's none of our business, isn't it? Matthew is a shy man, yes, but he would go to any lengths for those he loves; you, of all people, should know that. He's no fool and I believe that if he wished to pursue a relationship of this kind with anyone, he would."

"Well, I-"

"And I'm sorry to say this, because I do not mean to hurt or humiliate you, but you had no right to read his correspondence in the first place."