037.

Marianne hasn't found any fondness towards the cold in her heart at all.

She's sitting as close to the small fire as possible, insanely grateful that the other girls decided to keep themselves warm while watching the game. Hockey, the way she sees it, is far from fascinating, but in a town like Avonlea any kind of entertainment is welcomed with enthusiasm, especially during the time when snow makes it impossible to do anything else. Marianne wouldn't want to be the only one not attending the game; besides, it's a good chance to practice quick sketches, the paper on her lap filled with sharp lines and figures.

She only rises her head once in a while, to cast a quick look to the boys or avoid being hit by the puck (which happened to Moody during the last game and was far from a pleasant sight). Now, it's Anne's voice that catches her attention, the redhead girl arriving at last with a bright smile and a greeting on her lips.

"Ruby, you're supposed to be covering the game," she says, looking to the blonde in disappointment. "Where are the highlights? Do you even know the score?"

"It's just a school newspaper, Anne, not The Daily Telegraph," Josie cuts in. Her tone is rather rude, but, truth to be told, Marianne has grown rather used to it. Over the past months, the girl's comments didn't lose that sarcastic tone of theirs, yet Josie seems to no longer be aiming at truly hurting or humiliating others.

"We don't even need an article about the game - we're all here."

Well, Marianne can agree with that. She loves Anne dearly and is fascinated by how committed she is to her work on the school newspaper, but writing an article about an event they all witnessed seems a little pointless.

"She's busy ogling you-know-who."

The girls all exclaim in surprise as Billy comes too close, the skids of his skates crushing the ice. Tillie points out that Josie's caught the boy's eye and Marianne grimaces, she cannot imagine being attracted to anyone like him.

"Oh, I'm trying to make my peace with it," Jane adds, a complaint ringing in her voice.

"With what?"

"That Josie may become her sister."

"In law. Sister-in-law." Jane puts such an emphasis onto her words that they all laugh.

"Alright... I will write the article." Anne pulls a pen out of her pocket, it's no wonder she actually has one with her. "Who are the team captains this week?"

"Gilbert."

"And?"

"Whoever."

And then Moody manages to trip on the ice, too occupied with staring at Diana. Josie instantly seizes the opportunity to tease the girl about it; honestly, for some reason Marianne cannot understand everything seems to be somehow connected to romance lately, as though the fact that they are this close to graduating meant that they should get engaged, too.

A ridiculous concept, really.

Marianne catches Gilbert's eyes as he halts before the three girls, much more gently than Billy Andrews. He sends her a smile, one that could make all the snow melt. "Drew me already?" he asks with a grin before directing his attention towards Anne. "Isn't Ruby covering the game?" His brows are furrowed as he watches the redhead girl scribble down quickly.

"Ruby's very preoccupied." Tillie can barely contend her laughter. "With a certain someone."

Actually, Marianne can see why it is hard for her not to giggle even a little bit. Gilbert's confused face is certainly a sight to behold. He seems clueless about Ruby having a crush on him, despite the obvious signs, his facial expression giving him away before he rejoins the game. Marianne feels bad for the boy, but it's nice to see him being confused for a change - usually, Gilbert is the one who makes her brows furrow, her cheeks turn red.