They Need Somebody

Paul's POV

"You ready, Martha?" I asked my happy little sheepdog, eagerly awaiting for me to play with her. She wagged her tail as a response.

I held the red frisbee in my hand and wound myself up to toss it across the large field of our farm. "Ok...go and get it!"

Stella and Mary cheered and giggled as Martha sped through the tall grass.

"Yay! Go Martha!"

"Can I throw it next, daddy?"

"Of course, sweetheart-"

Before we could make the tradeoff, Linda approached us holding a strange envelope in her hand.

"Paul, honey? There's a letter here for you."

"More fan mail? You know the drill, Linda. Stick it in the pile and I'll read it later."

She had a worried expression on her face. "I think you should read this one now. It's rather important."

I began to worry as well. From the color of the envelope alone, I feared that I may have been in serious trouble. What could I have possibly done? Is the world really that mad at me for leaving the Beatles-ok, that's probably a dumb question. But are they sending a death threat or something? Look, I'm sorry, but I have my own life now, and so do the others.

Is Wings not enough for the world?

My hands were shaking as I took the letter from hers, and all worries were halted when I saw that this peculiar piece of mail came from...Pepperland?

Dearest Paul,

"Newer and bluer meanies have been sighted within the vicinity of this theater."

This quote that your mate John has said is now unfortunately true. Pepperland is too deep into this now, and we know from past experience that there's only one set of heroes who can save us now.

You may not fully understand, but you four are the single most respected people in our town. There are statues, plaques, and memorials here, there, and everywhere. Little children are educated on you daily, including poor Julia.

Practically orphaned from the attacks and staying with me for protection, she needs the most help here. Her parents were bonked, and she watched it happen.

Sweet Julia is praying to you. She wants to meet you more than ever.

I'm not sure which one of you has the yellow submarine, but if anyone, I'm assuming it's you, Paul.

Pepperland's condition gets worse with each passing second. In the heat of our battle, won't you save us now?

Signed,

The Mayor (Young Fred)

My jaw drops as the letter falls from my hand. Young Fred is the mayor now, and Pepperland is in danger? This is hard to wrap my head around...

"What was it, Paulie?"

I show her the mess that is the letter, and blush as her eyes widen from its demands.

"Wow..."

"Yeah."

"So...what are you going to do?"

I sigh. "Come, love. Let me show you something."

I take her by the hand and lead her to the secret location that's not far from our peaceful farm. I've kept this from everyone for far too long...

You see, Young Fred was right. After that adventure, I was the one who retained the yellow submarine. Apparently, it was only supposed to be used in emergencies. Obviously, the first blue meanie outbreak was, and to thank us, the mayor at the time told us we could keep it. None of the others cared enough, so they left it with me.

I've been storing it in this garage ever since. I haven't given any thought to it.

"You kept the submarine?" Linda wondered, amazed.

"Well, more so the others didn't want it. Therefore, I got stuck with it and had to put it somewhere. But it's a blessing in disguise. I've got to go and recruit the others. They must come along or it won't work."

"And how hard will that be?"

I frowned. "Fair point. But it's worth a shot."

Stella and Mary were giggling at the sight of the submarine. "A yellow submarine?" Stella asked.

Mary tried to climb it, laughing all the way until I stopped her. "No, no, girls. You can't come with me. Stay with mommy, and I promise I'll bring you something back."

They both gave me a hug. Linda holds my hands and looks at me in fear. "Please be careful."

"I will, sweetheart. I will."

With a swift kiss to her lips, I boarded the submarine and was off.

I'm returning to Pepperland at last...just after I recruit my old mates. And we might as well start with the most difficult one...