chapter 6

Buck walks down the corridor carrying Chris, he feels guilty that he and Chris were laughing and joking and that Eddie couldn't hear. He makes his way to the outside bit so they can get some air and Chris and stretch his legs.

"Buck, did you mean what you said in the room about Texas?" Chris asks.

Even more guilt hit Buck, he wished his mouth would wait for his brain to think things through before it said stuff.

"I need to ask your dad, he may not want me tagging along." He can feel the sigh come out of Chris.

"I know, but I think he will, if we go, we don't have the money." Chris says.

Buck turns his arms and picks Chris off his back and places him on the ground so they can take a seat on the bench.

"Have you been listening to conversations you shouldn't have?" Buck questions.

"Yeah, I know I shouldn't but it's hard not to when they all argue." Chris explains.

"Who argues?" Buck questions.

"Everyone, my grandparents want me to go back with them as my dad can't provide." Chris says and Buck knows Chris wouldn't have heard some of this, so decides he needs to push more.

"That's something you wouldn't have heard would it?." He sees Chris look down. "Want to tell me? I won't get mad and I know your dad won't either"

"I read the messages, my dad didn't realize they are all stored. Is it bad to read them?" Chris asks.

"It is if you know you shouldn't. Look, your dad is trying his best, and his accident hasn't helped but I know just from my brief chats he is trying." Buck explains.

"Yeah he smiles a lot when you message. Can I go play on the grass?."

"Err yeh go play, i'll be just here." Buck was thrown with what Chris just said. Maybe Eddie might be interested in him, or it was just the fact it was someone older to talk to.

Buck sits there, thinking about everything, his main problem was the promise he made to Chris and hoe he would get around that, he brings up maps, from there brief chats he knew Eddie's family was in El Paso which was maybe close enough, looking at maps it was a min 9 hours which was doable.

He searches through his contacts looking for one name, he knew them from his travels and just hoped they would answer. He presses the call and waits.

"Well I never thought I would see your name light up my screen again."

"I know, you most likely hate me." Buck says.

"No I don't, look we were both young, we were better as friends I got that, but now I have my man.... Shit sorry, I saw your insta post about yours leaving."

Buck had forgotten he had posted something, maybe it was a bad idea but at the same time why not he had been left.

"TK it's fine, i'm a big boy, glad you found your man, he seems nice." Buck says.

"Well when you come visit you can meet, I mean you know my dad loves you even after everything." TK chuckles.

"Well that's why I was ringing. I need an escape..."

"Say no more, come stay here for however long, my dad has spare rooms so he won't mind you crashing."

"You sure, I don't want to impose." Buck says knowing some people may find him annoying.

"No you won't be, get yourself booked and me and Carlos will pick you up, and we can have a big meal at my dad's expense." Tk laughs.

Buck thought for a second about mentioning Eddie but he wouldn't be there so kind of seems irrelevant.