The Walk (Ch. 22)

Your POV

We walked in silence for a bit, the rumble of thunder and the soggy crunching of wet leaves the only indication I was walking. I picked at a loose string on the bag, running thought after thought in my head.

"You will be fine," Slender's voice echoed in my head.

"I know," I smiled, "I'm just really nervous. Things tend to go wrong for me."

"I'm here," he said, placing a hand on my shaking shoulder. "And I will do my best to protect you."

I placed my trembling hand over his, rubbing a thumb over his knuckles. I let out a shaky breath and let go, immediately too aware of his hand leaving my shoulder. I looked up, arching a brow, "So, how much longer do we have to walk?"

Slender turned head, listening to the thunder and studying the distant flashes of lighting. "A few more minutes, by the looks of it."

I nodded, rolling my shoulders back and steeling my nerves. "What's it like living there?"

Slender hummed, "Rather peaceful. Most of the time, anyway. The woods have always been quiet; not a single person wonders too close." He sighed, "Granted, the others tend to cause a ruckus if they find themselves bored for even a second." He rubbed the temples on his head, "The thought of it alone nearly gives me a migraine."

I let out a laugh, "Seems you're kinda like a dad."

"They're more like children. One of them, like zoo animal. And I am simply tasked with ensuring they do not kill each other."

"Yeah," I grinned, "that's being a dad." I thought for a while before asking yet another question. "Do you think they'll mind me?"

Slender didn't respond right away, causing a small lump of anxiety in my throat. "Some will, for a while," he answered, "It took time for them to grow used to each other. But they know I never bring someone in unless they can be trusted."

I nodded, "Fair. Thanks for being honest. Helps me prepare."

We continued to walk, the storm rolling in closer. I turned and nearly blinded myself by accidentally looking at a bright flash of lighting. I shut and rubbed my eyes, flinching at the clap of thunder that followed.

"It reached our location a little earlier than I imagined," Slender hummed. He turned to face me, "Stay close."

I nodded, walking up to him and grabbing at his arm. I clutched at his smooth suit sleeve, anxious for the next flash. A few more minutes passed, the space between lighting and thunder closing. By then, a strong sprinkle of rain had begun. I swiped at whatever wet hair clung to my forehead and opened my mouth to ask how much longer, only to be meet with a flash of lightning and ear piercing thunder. I jumped, nearly crashing into Slender.

"It's time," he said, opening up his arms.

I knew that was his way of asking if he could pick me up, considering he did the same thing when we first met. I nodded, the now harsh bullets of rain on my face. I reach up, wrapping my arms around his neck. I let out a nervous breath, feeling his arms scoop me up and held me close. I buried my face in his neck, the anxiety clawing up my throat.

Slender pressed his head against mine, "Brace yourself. I'll be as careful and quick as possible."

I could only nod and shut my eyes. In a second, the sound of static and ringing filled my head, overpowering the rain and thunder. I twisted my face as the feeling of weightlessness and emptiness twisted my stomach. I bit my lip as my head pounded and tears welled up in my eyes. And just as quick as it started, it all ended.

Slender's voice called, soft and unsure,  "You can open your eyes now."

I gasped for air, opening my eyes wide, net with a dark room, and releasing the tears inside. I hugged Slender close, trying to catch my breath and keep my dinner down. I felt heavy and woozy, but I lifted my head to look at Slender. "You," I mumbled, "can put me down."

Slender looked into my eyes and shook his head, "No, not yet." He carried me over somewhere and sat down, leaning back, "Catch your breath and try to relax. Then I'll put you down."

I nodded, relaxing into him. I took deep breaths, his hand rubbing my back in a soothing manner. Minutes passed and, thankfully, I hadn't thrown up. I smiled, "Thank you. I feel better."

"Good," Slender hummed, "Would you like to look around?"

"Just the room, if that's alright."

"Of course. Allow me to turn on the light."

With a click, the light went bright. I shielded my eyes, trying to adjust to it. I turned and stood up, my shoes thumping on the dark wooden floor. I looked around at the bedroom, which wasn't much. The walls were a smooth wine-red, a few papers with children's drawings taped up. The bed was huge, probably to accommodate to Slender's size, with a dark gray cover and two gray pillows. A dark oak nightstand sat beside the bed with a lamp atop. I turned to face Slender, seeing a matching dark oak office table with a lamp. In front, sat Slender on a black armchair.

"Well," he began, titling his head, "what do you think?"

I smiled, "I think I'm home."