Uh Oh (Ch. 12)

Your POV

I sighed and walked back to my house. I took a wiff of my sweatshirt and frowned. I need a shower.

~*~*~*~*~*~

I climbed into the shower and let the warm water run down my body. As I scrubbed soap into my sponge, the events of yesterday flowed through my mind. I felt my heart pound a bit harder. The school clearly hadn't called my mom yet, otherwise she would have said something by now. They might call today.

I washed the soap off of my body and decided to horde some food up in my secret mini fridge in case I got grounded again. Normally, it's not bad when mom grounds me. No phone, no TV, couple of chores, no biggie. But John has a bad habit of trying to convince my mom I need to be locked in my room so that I avoid the 'bad influence' of my friends. This time, mom might listen.

I turned off the water and quickly dried off. Wrapping myself in the towel, I sped to my room to change. I locked the door and rummaged through my drawers. I decided on a black t-shirt with the words 'No coffee? No talking.' in white on the front and dark grey sweatpants.

After changing, I grabbed an empty, flowery tote bag and walked downstairs and looked through the cabinets and fridge to make a bit of food to horde. I made a couple roasted duck sandwiches, a couple turkey sandwiches, and a couple PB&J's. I grabbed the plastic wrap and wrapped up a total of 24 sandwiches. I grabbed a couple water bottles and filled a few empty ones with apple juice, soda pop, and kool-aid. Placing all of my future meals in my tote bag, I took a look at the kitchen clock. 2:36 pm. Did my mom and John go get lunch too? I shake my head and head to the pantry. I grab a few cookies and shove them into the bag before I headed up back to my room.

~*~*~*~*~*~

I stared at my ceiling before rolling off of my bed to grab a sharpie. Uncapping the marker, I stand on my bed and draw a smiley face on the ceiling. I smile at my work. Small, simple, and I won't get in trouble for it. Just then, I heard the front door slam closed.

"(Y/F/N) (Y/L/N)! Get down here this instant!"

'Uh oh...'

I walked down the stairs, timid, worried. My mom was sitting on the dinner table, her face in her hands.

"(Y/N), do you want to explain your side of the story?" mom asked, muffled by her hands.

"Mrs. Slime took my notebook with my sketches. I asked for it back, and she wouldn't give it back. She threatened to show it to the class and I went to get it back from her. She ended up grabbing my shoulder really hard, I've got marks. I kept yelling for her to let me go, and she wouldn't. So I punched her and she let me go. No one helped me." I answered, looking directly at my mom.

"That's no excuse for hurting your teacher." John piped in. I opened my mouth to retaliate, but my mom cut in.

"The sketches? You mean the one with.. With..." my mom tried asking, choking back the tears.

"The ones with dad's sketches. It's the one he gave me before he..." I answered, looking down.

Mom got up and hugged me, "I'm so sorry. I should've known you wouldn't react without reason."

I hugged back.

"She still needs to be punished." John spoke up, ever the rat he is.

Mom kissed the top of my head, "Not really. You know her dad means the world to her. And that teacher had no right to take it and try to show it to the class."

"No, but to punch her?" John continued, "It's like she feels like she gets to dish out justice. She should have just-"

"That's enough John," mom interrupted, turning to frown at John, "I usually agree with you, but right now, she's my daughter and I will decide what happens to her."

I smiled. For the first time in a long time, mom was on my side. Mom turned back to me and told me that she'd fight to have me moved classes, but that I still needed punishment to ensure that the school wouldn't try to give it themselves. I nodded, kind of understanding.

"You're punishment will be to help me bake a cake.  But don't specify at school, okay? It's been a while since you've stood up for yourself." mom said, squishing my face a bit.

"Well, if I must help, then who am I to say no?" I grinned back.

As mom went to start looking for the ingredients, I turned back to John only to find him scowling at me, walking up to me.

"You think you can get away with hurting people, brat?" John whispered at me.

"I defended myself, you troglodyte. And even if I didn't, you get away with trying to hurt my mental and emotional state, so I can get away with physical pain too." I whispered back, smiling. 

I wasn't going to lose to this idiot. Not now, not ever.