The Final Selection

As we return back to Sakonji's little home I think to myself.'Why did I set off on this journey? Boredom? No,I don't think it was truly boredom that set me off on this journey.' I don't get much time to think more on this as suddenly Sakonji begins to speak again.

"Tomorrow when you both set off the mission before you is simple. Survive one week on Mount Fujikasane." That seems simple enough but I have several questions. "I imagine this mountain is infested with demons,yes?" He shakes his head confirming what I said. "But my question is how does the demon slayer corps keep a high concentration of demons in one place?" He then looks at Tanjiro and sees that he is also curious on that front.

"There is a flower known as wisteria, the demon repellent. If gathered in high concentrations you can effectively seal off a perimeter." "And this is the case with Fujikasane?" He then just gives a simple nod. "Apart from that the swords you will be using are made from a special metal known as Nichirin. These blades absorb sunlight and channel the sun's rays making it an effective demon killing tool."

We continued on the trail back and once we arrived we ate together for possibly the final time. Tanjiro got his haircut and I...well nothing changed apart from my height.

Clothes wise I still have my royal bule haori but I have ditched my black and gold kimono for something similar to what Tanjiro is wearing due to the fact it's a lot more flexible. The next morning we set off to the final selection. "We are off Sakonji,give Sabito and Makomo my best !" I then see Sakonji stop waving and appear to be shocked for the first time in years.

"Tanjiro, who are you talking about?" "They were the ones who helped train me."

'Mmm, so there're the presences I felt but that doesn't explain why they felt so different compared to a normal human here. [that is because they are dead.] 'What?!' [It would appear that they died some time ago and didn't want the same fate to befall Tanjiro so they helped him..] 'Kindness follows even in death.' [Indeed.]

Upon arriving all I can think is 'beautiful' the wisteria shouldn't be blooming at all this time of year but here it is, in all its beauty. As I look around I see many kids around the same age as us. Some look very nervous whilst others look a lot more composed. There was one who stuck out more than the others. He was frail looking yet the air around him screamed death. He wore a black yukata and purple haori that faded into red. I decided to approach him and strike up a conversation as we would be here for a while.

"Oi, mind if I talk to you a bit." He looks at me a bit confused before eying me up and down before shaking his head yes. "So what's your name?" He asks. "Rimuru,Rimuru Royota." "Naji Fukomi. Pleasure to meet you. So what drove you here?" I pause for a moment to think of a response. "I'm looking for someone." "Mhm, well I hope you live past this to find them. As for me, family is the reason I'm here." Was his family also murdered by a demon? We talk for a bit on useless banter yet I find myself somewhat amused. Reminds me of tempest. He reminds me a lot of Gobuta with his sense of humor. Despite the air around him he is just a big old goof.

"Welcome everyone to the final selection. Once you pass this point the demons have free roam on the mountain so do your best to survive and may you return safely." two kids appear out of nowhere and announce the beginning of the final selection.

I found myself alone on a tree scanning for any movement. I soon see two demons chasing one of the participants so I jump down. I then begin to sprint towards the two and unsheathe my katana. 'Storm breathing sixth form [Cyclone] and with that I do a forward jump and spin and with that the heads of the two demons fall off from their bodies. The kid looks up at me and motions to thank me but I vanish. For the next three hours I did the same thing, sitting on trees and waiting for something to cross my vision.