CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

__________________

—Ethan?— I repeat back to the smug asshole, tempted once again to punch the smirk off his face.
—So let me get this straight.— I say, trying to hold my composure. —You're ready to convict a man of attempted murder based off of one person backing up a rapist's story?— My voice is deathly calm. My nails dig into my palm as l squeeze my fists together.

This is all such bullshit. It doesn't make any sense that they could charge him off of so little information. There were plenty of people at that party that could vouch for me and Louis.

—That's not the only evidence Mr. Tomlinson has against him.— The prick answers and I stare at him impatiently waiting for him to enlighten me with this such "evidence".

—And what would that be?— My hands fly up in frustration. This shit couldn't possibly get any worse.

—The assault charge on his record doesn't help his case much.— He grins, looking between me and Louis.

Assault charge? I look at Louis confused but he just blows out a long breath and doesn't meet my eyes.

—So, you didn't tell your little boyfriend here about how you put a young man in the hospital in a jealous rage over your ex girlfriend?— He says, loving every minute of the shock on my face and the shame on Louis'.

I ignore the douchebag and continue searching for an explanation from Louis but it seems like he can't get the words out properly. He just shakes his head in frustration. Ex girlfriend? Is that the one long relationship he told me about? Is that why he didn't want to talk about it?

—Mr. Styles.— Mrs. Connor pulls me from my thoughts. —We are doing everything we can to disprove the witness accounts against Mr. Tomlinson. Unfortunately, no students want to get involved and we're finding it difficult to get someone to come forward and confirm your story. These college kids don't want to be placed at a frat party that consisted of underage drinking.— She explains with sympathy. —We are also trying to throw out the use of Mr. Tomlinson's past record for we feel it's irrelevant to the case.— Her words put me at ease slightly but my mind is racing.

—So, what happens now?— I ask afraid of the answer.

—Well, we continue to fight until we prove his innocence.— She states simply with a reassuring smile.

Louis is looking at my face now, seeming to try to figure out what's going through my head.

—The court date is set for December 1st, so until then, we need to do everything we can to gather evidence to help Mr. Tomlinson's case.—

December 1st... He has to sit in jail for a month... Tears threaten to fall again. I feel utterly hopeless and the guilt eats at the insides. Even if this all gets settled, will he even be able to continue school? How can I continue school knowing he's sitting in a cell? How do I keep myself out of jail when all I want to do is murder that bitch that started this all.

—Harry.— Louis gets my attention and my head snaps to his glare. —You will continue to go to school everyday. You will not worry about me. You will live your daily life WITHOUT feeling guilty that this is happening. It's not your fault and I can't bare being in here if I know this is effecting you out there.— His voice is stern.

He pleads with his eyes for me to agree to his wishes and I nod my head. If I spoke, the tears would flow and I don't want him to see how effected I already am by all this. I want him with me. I want to kiss him and hold him. I want to go back to laying on his couch and watching movies and eating food like we were before all this hell began.

—We will keep in contact with about everything for the next month.— Mrs. Connor says and I nod. That's the cue that the meeting is over and I stand. I take a second to glance once more at Louis and he has a small smile on his face.