Chapter 19

Kate

We pulled up to Black Rose in record time. Bethany was an impatient rule-breaker, which was a bad combination in a driver. I was usually afraid to drive with her but today was an exception. We had to hide a fugitive who, coincidentally, used to be my best friend.

Bethany surveyed the headquarters as if trying to spot something. "The coast is clear. Come on."

We all piled out of the car. Caitlin handed sunglasses to Valerie and told her that it was for safety purposes. Valerie slipped them on and hobbled behind us.

As we walked into the headquarters, I wondered what Susan and Garret would think about Valerie. She was clearly not welcome here. I knew we needed to help her, though, so I hoped they understood.

I was the first to reach Susan's office. I knocked on the closed door. It swung open and I was greeted by Garret instead. I was just about to say that I had gone to the wrong office when Garret said, "Susan is in here. Come on in."

We piled into the small office. Valerie took a seat while Caitlin, Bethany, and I stood. Susan pursed her lips in disapproval.

"Welcome back Valerie. We missed you." The smirk I detected on her lips meant she was joking. She clearly did not miss Valerie.

Valerie took off her sunglasses even though she did not have to. We all knew who she was, sunglasses or not.

"Now, can someone explain how and why Valerie is here?" Susan asked nonchalantly, as if Valerie was not in the room.

"We found her in the woods when we went camping. She was calling for help and we brought her to our camp," I said. It was a long story short.

"Oh, and we need to hide her from the authorities. Kate didn't mention that," Bethany shrugged. She might as well have been talking about the weather.

Susan frowned. "Well, she won't be hiding here. Besides, I need to talk to you girls about something," she said. She glanced at Valerie before adding, "Alone."

Garret gestured to the door with his chin. Valerie got up from her seat and walked out of the office. Garret closed the door behind them.

Two things were racing through my mind. First, I was wondering where we could hide Valerie. I was hoping Susan would help but, deep down, I knew she would refuse. Valerie was no longer trusted. Second, I was curious to know what Susan was going to talk to us about.

"You sure outdid yourself Kate. Becoming close to an enemy is one rule that I never thought you would break. Anyway, I am not here to reprimand you. In fact, I wanted to congratulate you on your outstanding work on the last mission," Susan began to explain.

I did not know where this conversation was going. First she was going to call me out and then praise me? I didn't understand. One look at Bethany and Caitlin proved they were confused as well.

"I wanted to explain a new mission I found for you girls. Luckily you are all working together," Susan continued. "A new spy organization was recently formed called SLF. I heard the leader is very power-hungry and is corrupting his own organization. You three need to find this leader and save the new recruits from becoming his personal helpers."

"Do we have any information about this leader? Where can we find this organization?" Caitlin asked, getting straight to business.

"We have no leads on the location, although we do know that the leader is a male named Jack," Susan answered. She looked down at her desk where some paperwork was scattered. "And you might be surprised to know something else."

Bethany leaned forward. "What is it?"

Susan looked up and met our eyes. "He claims to be Harry's brother."

I immediately remembered what Valerie had told us at the campsite: a man had intruded into her house and wanted to kidnap her. Was it coincidentally the same man?

Although Valerie never mentioned him by name, I was curious to know whether these men were connected in some way.

"I need to go ask Valerie a question," I told Susan. I had to know more information and it seemed as if Valerie could help.

"She left. I told Garret to drive her home. You don't need Valerie back in your life. You just need to accept that," Susan sighed, shaking her head slightly.

My jaw dropped when I realized what Susan was saying. Bethany and Caitlin must have understood because Caitlin shouted, "You can't take her home!"

Susan raised an eyebrow and peered at us curiously. "And why is that?"

"There was an intruder at her house. He might still be there! We can't let him take Valerie. Susan, please listen to us," I pleaded.

My words fell on deaf ears. I knew Susan would not care. I was becoming angrier with every word that came out of her mouth.

"The intruder is probably gone. If he's not, the police will surely catch him," Susan said smugly. "Now, where was I?"

It took me a minute to register what she said. "You did what?!"

Susan smiled. I hated that smile. I couldn't help thinking that it was all her fault. What she said next enraged me.

"Why, I sent the police to Valerie's house."