Chapter 4

The sound of an incoming text message pierced the air instantaneously. Kate tentatively picked up her phone and read the text to herself.

Welcome to Black Rose, Kate! Please check the mail for all the information you need to be recruited.

A thought more terrifying than the stalker-like text messages crossed Kate's mind after reading the reply. "How do they know my address?"

Valerie's curiosity grew steadily. She wanted to receive more information on this mysterious spy organization. "I honestly don't know. Well, come on," she said, hastily getting up from the bed. Almost abruptly, she realized her mistake. Judging by Kate's reaction, so did she.

"Where are you going?"

"Did they not just tell you to check the mail?"

"I never read the text out loud."

Valerie shrugged, trying to keep her voice light so Kate would not begin to get suspicious. "I read it over your shoulder."

Kate nodded, attempting to shake the thought that Valerie was hiding yet another secret.

With that, the girls silently trudged down three flights of stairs into Kate's spotless foyer, complete with a walk-in coat room and an expensive chandelier directly above.

Kate opened the door and held it for Valerie as they walked outside. The cool, crisp air was welcoming as the girls headed to the mailbox, which happened to be a small replica of the mansion behind them.

Kate hesitated at the mailbox, unsure of whether to open it. Who knew what awaited her?

Valerie made the decision for her as she opened the mailbox door and extracted a sealed white envelope.

Valerie went to open it but Kate stopped her. There was a time and place for everything, and opening a cryptic letter in broad daylight in a busy residential neighborhood was not the right time nor place. "Let's open it inside," Kate suggested.

Kate and Valerie practically ran up the stairs, taking two steps at a time, in order to situate themselves back into Kate's bedroom. "I'll open it," Valerie said, extending her hand.

Kate handed Valerie the envelope. Once it was safely in her hand, Valerie tore open the envelope and pulled out a folded letter.

Dear Kate,

Thank you for joining Black Rose. Included are several instructions that you should follow in order to ensure that you fully become part of the spy organization.

The first step requires you to call Black Rose. You can find the phone number by looking at your previous text messages.

Kate picked up her phone and made sure to dial each number exactly as it appeared. Her fingers shook as she waited for someone to answer on the other end. Finally, after waiting for at least a minute, a woman picked up the phone.

"Hello Kate Black. Thank you for calling Black Rose. I assume you received the instructions in the mail," a woman said.

"I did," she replied curtly.

"Okay, great! The next step is to meet with Harry Black, the owner of Black Rose, at the Pine Sun restaurant at 1:00 tomorrow," the woman continued. "That is all. More instructions will be given from Harry. Have a great day."

Before Kate could ask any more questions, the line went dead. Realizing the woman had hung up without giving her name or even a physical description of Harry Black, Kate sighed.

She and Valerie were meeting a mysterious man who they knew nothing about. Thoughts of kidnapping flashed through Kate's mind before she dismissed the thoughts entirely.

If there was one thing she was sure of, it was that she would protect herself and Valerie no matter the cost. After all, isn't that what spies did?