Chapter 26

Valerie

I was led into the SLF headquarters by Jack and Hope. Upon entering the headquarters, which was situated in an old office building, I felt something unfamiliar. Suddenly, I knew what it was: fear. That was a feeling that I had not felt for a long time. Nowadays, my anger tended to mask most of my feelings.

Jack led me to a conference room to the left of the entrance. The room was small but organized. Mahogany wood bookshelves lined the right wall, filled with books in every available space. There was also a long rectangular table taking up most of the room, with eight chairs surrounding it.

Jack seated himself at the head of the table, Hope on the right side, and me on the left. I found it more comforting, if that was even the correct word, to sit across from Hope rather than next to her.

"Hello Valerie. I am so glad you could make it here today. Our group at SLF has been expecting you," Jack smiled slyly.

I frowned, not amused by the joke. "Well, considering you forced me here, I am not happy to be here," I muttered sarcastically.

Hope glared at me. "Do not talk to the master like that. If you dare do it again, I will--" Hope snapped, but was interrupted by Jack.

Jack laughed like life was all one big joke. "Well, aren't you a sarcastic one? Hope, you can calm down."

Hope sighed, but the glare that was directed at me did not waver for a second. "She thinks she's the security guard here. We're all spies, so we have no problems keeping ourselves safe," Jack told me. Hope seemed unfazed at the comment, as if people talked bad about her in front of her face all the time.

"Anyway, as I said, I truly appreciate you coming here today. Harry has told me a lot about your abilities. You are smart, witty, fast, and manipulative. We look for those qualities in a spy, which is why I wanted to recruit you in the first place. You did not handle that so well," Jack smirked.

"Why am I here? Just so you can brag about your new recruit? If you don't have a job for me, I'll gladly be on my way," I snapped.

"I was just getting to that. Before I do, I want to explain a few general rules. First, you will call me Master at all times. Second, you will follow and complete your mission with my detailed instructions. Unlike at Black Rose, you cannot have help from fellow spies. I give you these instructions, known as your Guide, and you will follow them thoroughly," Jack explained.

I scoffed at his strict, and extremely lame, rules. There were no words to describe how annoyed I was. This was how he chose to run a spy organization?

"Before you get any radical ideas, I want to point out the consequences if you break these rules. Your first consequence is a warning and a $100 fine. Your second is a 10-day suspension. And your third..." Jack trailed off. He looked dazed, but had a malicious smile on his face.

I waited for him to continue. His eerie smile made me shift in my chair uncomfortably.

"And your third is being sent to the Rule Breakers. You might find yourself welcome there," Jack said.

I had no idea what or who those people were, but by the way Jack smiled, I felt that odd sensation of fear again. I dared to ask, "Who are the Rule Breakers?" I hope they can they get me out of this misery, I thought.

"The Rule Breakers are all the recruits who have disobeyed Jack three times. They are kept in an abandoned warehouse not far from here," Hope said smugly, a hint of pride in her voice.

This was sick, but not in a good way. SLF just seemed like one big organization of troublemakers.

"And they have all been executed," Jack added, smiling straight at me.

Hope had the honor of leading me to my room, which was tucked in the right corner of the headquarters. It was situated among many other dorm rooms, with their plain white doors and their dull interiors.

As I stepped inside, Hope flipped the light switch on. The room was flooded in bright, fluorescent light. The white twin bed, white drawers, and white desk gave the illusion that I was staring into the sun.

The accompanying bathroom was white, too. I had never seen so much of one color before.

"Make yourself at home Valerie," Hope smiled. I shuddered when she said my name. When I turned around, she was gone. The slightly open door was the only indicator that she had been here.

I fell back onto the lumpy mattress, confused and upset. Suddenly, there was a knock at my door. I looked up just as a man with sandy blond hair and blue eyes was closing the door behind him. He was holding a piece of paper, but I could not tell what was written on it.

He smiled down at me and handed me the piece of paper. "Here is the Guide for your first mission," the man said. I looked at him closely before I realized who it was.

"Oh my gosh, Harry! I missed you so much," I exclaimed. Then I lowered my voice just in case anyone was listening. "You have to get me out of here. Jack and Hope are evil psychopaths," I whispered urgently.

Harry just laughed as if I had told him a joke. I was not expecting that. "No, they are not. Besides, Jack is my brother. I think I would know him better than you."

His words felt like a slap to the face. "Why didn't you ever tell me you had a brother? What else are you hiding?" I pressed.

"I'm not hiding anything. I just thought it were better off if we did not discuss Jack," Harry said. He was starting to look uncomfortable.

"Why not?" I challenged.

Harry shifted from foot to foot. "No reason. Anyway, I better go now. I need to pass out more Guides."

I looked at Harry's empty hands. "Harry, just tell me. If we want to keep our bond strong, we need to be honest with each other," I explained.

"You're right," he replied. He still had not explained why his brother was not to be discussed.

I relaxed. "Please tell me why you kept Jack a secret."

Harry sighed, shifting his feet. "Because he almost killed me."