Chapter 29

Kate

We all huddled into a small group, our heads bowed together in a circle. If anybody saw us, we'd look like a team of soccer players giving each other a pep talk before our big match. In a way, we were kind of setting ourselves up for something big, although it did not even begin to compare to a soccer match.

"So you want to kill Jack? That's easier said than done. You could not get past security and his team of lunatics even if you tried," Valerie said.

I had just explained my idea to the group but they all seemed to be quite in shock. I realize that it was risky and dangerous but I was willing to do whatever it took, including murder.

"Come on, it can't be that hard! I have inside access," I pleaded, looking at Harry and Valerie. "Well, if you guys would be willing to help."

"I know I am. He did some pretty bad things to me when I was younger. I think he deserves to pay for them," Harry said, an evil glint in his eye.

"I'm in. He has to stop torturing people," Bethany stated simply.

"I don't know about this. We can't just go around killing people we don't like. That's not the way it works," Caitlin said worriedly.

"Yes, I actually agree with Caitlin. I can get in major trouble for this," Valerie said, biting her nail.

"You won't get in trouble unless you're caught. Besides, who can you get in trouble with? If this plan succeeds, there is no one to punish you," Harry explained.

Valerie thought about it for a minute. Harry did bring up a good point.

"You're right. I'm in," Valerie said slowly.

We all turned to look at Caitlin, who was staring awkwardly at the ground.

"So, what do you say?" I prompted her.

"I am going to hate myself for this, but I'm in. You better make this quick, though," Caitlin said.

I smiled, and so did Bethany, Valerie, and Harry.

"Great. Let's do this," I exclaimed.

It wasn't long before all of us were standing outside of the abandoned warehouse.

I shivered in the cold, hugging myself to keep warm. I knew that if this plan was successful, the coldness in my heart would never go away.

I had no idea what had come over me. The fact that I was planning to kill someone, and more importantly, go through with it, was completely absurd.

The black sedan pulled up to the abandoned warehouse as we all hid in the shadows. Valerie and Jack stepped out of the car and slammed the door.

We had sent Valerie to fetch Jack at SLF and tell him that all the Rule Breakers were missing. He was going to send Ryan but decided to go investigate himself.

We crouched further into the shadows, then slipped into the warehouse from a back entrance when we saw Valerie and Jack go inside. From our perch behind some large wooden boxes, we were able to see and hear what was going on.

"So they are just gone?" Jack asked, clearly astonished.

"Yes, all of them! Ryan saw me immediately after he got back to the headquarters and told me the news. I thought I should tell you," Valerie explained.

"I am glad you told me. But why would he come to you instead of me?" Jack mused aloud.

"Maybe he couldn't find you. Anyway, why don't we head up there and investigate? You brought the fingerprint scanner, right?" Valerie asked.

Jack nodded and began climbing the ladder quickly. Valerie followed close behind. Thirty seconds after they had climbed up the ladder, I swung around the crates and cautiously climbed the ladder too.

When I reached the top, I peeked over the hole in the ceiling. Jack was furiously scanning every area of the room, while Valerie was writing things down on a small notepad.

As planned, she broke off a piece of paper and dropped it on the ground. It fluttered down, landing a couple inches in front of me. I snatched it and read the note: Now.

I grasped the cool metal weapon in my hand, searching for the trigger. I raised it up and aimed straight at Jack's back.

Meanwhile, Valerie had stood off to the side while Jack continued scanning. He was oblivious to the fact that a gun was being pointed at him.

When I had the perfect angle, I pressed the trigger. I held onto the trigger even after the shot was fired.

After I looked up, the realization of what I did almost knocked me back down the ladder.

I had just shot Jack.