Chapter 20

Valerie

Here we go. I'm going to jail again.

I was terrified when I saw five police cars in my driveway. I was terrified when one of the officers led me to the police car, handcuffed. But most of all, I was terrified when I realized that Kate and her friends had betrayed me. They had told me they were my friends and would keep me safe. Instead, they made Garret drive me home where a bunch of police were waiting.

"Get in the car," one of the officers grumbled. He pushed me into the backseat. I fell forward and smacked my face against the cushion. I was, in a word, disgusted. Who knew what was on those seats?

I managed to right myself as the police officer got in the front seat. As we were driving, a horrible odor was forming in the car. I was so miserable back here but I knew the worst had yet to come.

Through the grimy divider, I heard the officer say we had twenty minutes before arriving at the jailhouse.

As expected, we pulled into the jail's parking lot in twenty minutes. The officer unlocked the door for me, not-so-gently helping me out. He guided me to the entrance, all the while watching me like a hawk.

I didn't dare speak as I walked into the old cement building. The small room I was ushered into had an old wooden table and two rickety chairs, one on each side. The police officer followed me into the room, closing the door behind him.

"Sit down. I will perform a small interrogation. I will then have another officer lead you to your cell," the officer deadpanned. I watched as he silently took out some paper and a pen.

"Full name."

"Valerie Rose."

"Occupation."

I hesitated before answering. I was technically no longer a student at Westhill High School. I decided that honesty was better than lying when speaking to a police officer.

"Former student at Westhill High School."

"Age."

"Sixteen."

"Thank you for your cooperation. My partner Paul will lead you to your cell. You will be staying there for two months. Make yourself comfortable," the officer laughed. The laugh sent shivers down my spine.

Two months. I knew that wasn't really a long time but it would feel like an eternity for me. I looked up at the door when I heard it open.

"Valerie. Please follow me," an officer ordered. I guess that's Paul. I got up and stumbled over my own feet. I held my shoulders high and blinked back the tears that were threatening to flow if I didn't remain strong.

I followed the officer to a closed door on the other end of the hallway. He took a key ring out of his pocket, found the correct key, and unlocked the door. Behind the door were rows of cells.

I was relieved when I noticed they were empty. I did not want to meet any of the inmates. I tried to convince myself that nothing bad would happen, but that was an immature way to think.

We soon entered a large cafeteria filled with teenagers. They were all wearing orange jumpsuits. Most of them stared at me when I entered.

"I need everyone to listen up. We have a new inmate here. Her name is Rose," the officer called out. I cringed. Now everyone thought my name was Rose. I did not bother correcting him though.

Some kids laughed while others went back to eating their meal. The officer said, "I will show you to your cell now. Follow me."

I trudged behind him. I still had my ankle bracelet on which slowed me down considerably. We soon reached a cell guarded by a heavy padlock. Through the bars, I could see two beds- which were more like metal plaques coming out from the wall- and a small bin in the middle.

The officer pointed to the bin, then the metal plaques. "Toilet. Beds."

I gaped in shock. I was not going to the bathroom in a bin. After all, I was not a prisoner nor a criminal. I was just an innocent girl involved in an risky business deal. Enough said.

The officer pointed to an orange jumpsuit folded on the bed that I didn't notice before. "Put that on. Then I'll lead you back to the cafeteria."

I glared at him. He laughed and turned around, looking the other direction. I quickly undressed and slipped the orange jumpsuit over my head. It was two sizes too big. I cleared my throat to indicate I was finished changing.

"Very well. You will be sharing a cell with a girl named Hope," the officer said. We walked back to the cafeteria. He turned to look at me. "Go ahead and make some friends. You're going to need them."

The officer turned around and started walking away. "Wait!" I cried out.

He stopped but did not turn around. "Yes?"

"I...I'm not..." I stuttered. I knew I would start crying if I continued talking. I am not supposed to be here. I was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

"I thought so," the officer said, shaking his head slightly. He continued walking, not looking back at me once.

I surveyed the cafeteria full of teenage criminals. Why were they in jail? I didn't want to find out.

I took a deep breath. I was Valerie Rose. I could do anything. With one step, I walked into the cafeteria.

Here goes nothing.