Chapter 3

By sunset we had come to a wide-open area near a cliff side giving only two entrances to our campsite. Oin and Gloin began to build a fire to offset the oncoming night and the others spread out their bedrolls around the fire. Bombur, the largest dwarf with a braided red beard, started the dinner by turning simple vegetables and meat into a delicious stew. Thorin was set up on a nearby rock with his back flush against the stone. While, I sat next to my friends on our borrowed rolls from Ori who was kind enough to set us up under the overhang with Kili and Fili. We listened to Gandalf who was sitting against a lone pine tree.

"Well, Gandalf," I said, trying to warm my hands by the fire. "What is the plan, hmm?"

Gandalf set himself up with a nice pipe and soon began to blow puffs of smoke. "To take back the lonely mountain of course."

"No," I explained. "I mean with us. Why did you bring us here?" At this point all the dwarves were settled in and listening to us. "What can we offer?"

"You each carry special abilities within yourselves. Jenna has the skills of elvish magic for healing and defenses if she practices. Kylie has incredible skills in medicine and raw strength enough to snap the neck of an orc if she wanted."

"And Lakota?" Kili asked curiously.

Gandalf tended to his pipe. "It's hard to say what her old magic can do. I am afraid most of her remains to be seen in the upcoming days." He grinned mischievously. "I think Lakota will end up being our dragon slayer."

Several things were dropped from the hands of the dwarves in shock. I looked at Gandalf as if he had lost his mind. "Are you insane?" I asked in disbelief. "How the hell do you expect me to kill a 65-foot long and 45-foot wide dragon? Not to mention his wingspan is over 70 feet and weighs over 2 tons! I'm less than five foot tall? I wouldn't even be able to get up to the missing scale in his chest to do any damage." I blurted out before I realized all the information I knew. "How did I know that?" I asked Gandalf, covering my mouth.

"You would make an excellent dragon slayer, besides your doubt. I think you will find a way." Gandalf reassured me before taking the meal from Bombur with thanks. "Now quiet down and eat. We still have far to go."

Everyone became quiet and ate their meals in peace. I was overwhelmed with joy with the delicious stew that had me craving more, but I refused seconds so Kylie and Jenna could eat more. After dinner I helped Bofur with the dishes and chatted about the charming Blue Mountains before I laid down on my roll sleeping close to my sword.

The hours ticked by and it was late in the night when Bilbo got up frustrated, like me unable to fully sleep, he went and snuck an apple to his pony as a thank you. A gut-wrenching screech echoed off the cliff side and I went up in a fighting crouch instantly knowing that sound. Kylie and Jenna drew their weapons from a deep sleep.

Bilbo tiptoed back over to the fire in alarm. "What was that?"

Kili was carving something from wood but answered Bilbo casually. "Orcs."

"Orcs?" Bilbo squeaked and with the panic in Bilbo's voice Thorin stirred awake knowing the familiar sound of possible danger.

"Throat cutters." Fili explained. "There will be dozens of them out there. The lowlands are crawling with them."

Kili's tone changed a bit lighter and less serious as he continued. "They strike in the wee hours of the night when everyone's asleep. Quick and quiet, no screams, just lots of blood."

Bilbo looked faint as he gazed out into the wild below. The two brothers shared a glance and a low chuckle that caught Thorin's attention.

"You think that's funny?" Thorin's voice was dark and full of anger as he left his spot on the rock. "You think a night raid by orcs is a joke?" Thorin came over and placed his hand on my forearm lowering my sword, an indication that we were safe. I sheathed my sword as he wished and sat back on my bed roll.

"We didn't mean anything by it." Kili said, extremely apologetic.

"No, you didn't. You know nothing of the world." Thorin stalked off the edge of the cliff staring off into the night.

Balin came over and leaned on the rock face next to Fili. "Don't mind him laddie. Thorin has more cause than most to hate orcs. After the dragon took the Lonely Mountain, King Thror tried to reclaim the ancient dwarf kingdom of Moria, but our enemy had got there first." Balin continued. "Moria had been taken by legions of orcs lead by the most vile of their race. Azog the Defiler. The giant pale orc had sworn the wipe out the line of Durin. He began...by beheading the king." My heart sank at this horrible story. "Thrain, Thorin's father, was driven mad by grief he went missing, taken prisoner or killed we did not know. We were leaderless defeat and death were upon us. That is when I saw him. A young dwarf prince facing down the pale orc. He stood alone against this terrible foe. His armor rent, wielding nothing more than an oaken branch as a shield. Azog the Defiler learned that day that the line of Durin would not be easily broken. Our forces rallied and drove the orcs back and our enemy had been defeated. But there was no feast or song that night for our dead was beyond the count of grief. We few had survived, and I thought to myself then, there is one who I could follow. There is one I could call king." When Balin had finished his story, everyone was wake and had heard what this warrior had done for his people.

"And the pale orc?" Bilbo asked. "What happened to him?"

Thorin walked back to the group. "He slunk back into the hole whence he came. That filth died of his wounds long ago." Thorin settled back on his rock.

I looked at Jenna who also had a heavy worry showing in her eyes.