Chapter 6

We came to a stop by a nearby river and a clearing on the edge of a small forest.

"We will stop here for the night." Thorin said before dismounting. The sun was nearing the horizon in the west, setting slowly in the distance. "Oin, Gloin get a fire going." Thorin helped me down and ensured I would not fall.

My legs swayed a bit when I touched the ground, but I did not falter. "Thank you."

Thorin nodded before unsaddling his pony and I volunteered to help brush down the weary pony. The pony began to take a liking to me and I gave her a nice scratch on her forehead. I laughed as she shook her head between my hands and bumped my chest with her nose.

"Lakota," Dwalin growled. "Come with me." I looked to Thorin who nodded in approval and I followed Dwalin not sure what to expect. Dwalin led me to an open area just outside of camp where Kylie, Jenna, Bilbo, Fili and Kili waited. "Thorin has agreed with me that since you are now a part of our company, you will learn to defend yourself. Fili and Kili will be your sparring partners." Dwalin gave the two young dwarves a nod and they drew their swords. "Since we do not have years to teach you, we will be teaching you by hands-on experience."

As an instinct I drew my sword waving the others to back up as I countered the dwarves' circling moves as they herded me away from the group. Kili was the first to strike with a loud battle cry coming with a downward blow grazing down my sword and to my left. I spun around and elbowed him in the back making him stumble forward. Fili came from behind me and I dove out of the way in time for the two to clash to the ground. Fili's pride was slightly tainted at my slick move on him and his brother. Fili attacked at full speed with his blades at a blurring rate making it difficult to block his dual blades. I changed tactics from offense to defense, digging down and holding my own as Fili wore himself out. Fili took a second to pause for breath and I took my chance slipping between his blades and gave him a forearm shiv in his gut. Fili immediately dropped his blades and doubled over.

Kili came back rushing me so fast all I could do was duck, allowing Kili to roll over me and land flat on his back. I placed my foot on his chest and held my sword at his throat. "Do you yield?" I asked.

A blade slid around my back against my neck. "Do you?" Fili's voice was a dark threatening growl in my ear.

A wolfish grin grew on my face as I slipped my armored forearm between his blade and my throat, grabbing his arm and flipping him over me. I had the two brothers piled on top of one another. "I do believe I won." I sheath my sword letting the dwarves up.

"No real training huh?" Dwalin asked, trying to hide his shock.

I gave him a shrug. "My previous master said I had a gift and I excelled faster than they could teach me. Soon I was practicing on my own and competing."

"So, you think you could take any of us?" Dwalin asked, leaning on his ax.

"I never said that." I defended myself.

Dwalin smirked, looking a little too satisfied with himself. "Either way I would be ready for your next opponent."

A twinge in the back of my mind screamed as a shiver ran down my spine. In a flash I pulled my sword spinning and dropped to one knee taking the blow with my sword. My attacker was none the less Thorin Oakenshield. Fear flashed in my eyes and Thorin picked that up, giving me an evil grin. I slid our swords away and I rolled back out of his range coming up to my feet. We paused, and I caught my breath, not sure how to approach him.

I was beginning to feel doubt in my chest as I glanced over at my friends who had their hands cupped over their mouths in shock. I had to fight him because if I didn't I would ruin my reputation and trust with the company. Back home I was one of the best swordswomen in the country and in game play too but, here in Middle Earth against the King under the Mountain? I was just a silly girl playing dress up. I could feel the tears build up against my strength. I looked down at my reflection on my blade seeing myself panicked and hit a nerve in my soul.

I was the leader in my group willing to do anything for my loved ones including fight four orcs in another dimension. I was anything I wanted to be and now I finally had my wish come true I wasn't going to miss it.

I took a breath calming myself and brought my sword up towards my face in a fighting stance. I composed myself going deep into my mind like I did before in duals and fighting games. If he wanted to fight dirty then I would not disappoint. Thorin was a little shocked at my instant composure as his mouth opened in a slight gasp before preparing himself. With a snarl and a battle cry I launched for Thorin and he blocked my blade. As our swords clashed the metal reverberated loudly and echoed in our ears as I ran my blade up his sword with that power I pushed his blade from his guard. Thorin quickly recovered, advancing pushing me back and around our fighting arena as I blocked every blow he threw my way. Soon Thorin upped his attacks with spin using the force to add momentum to his blow that I caught with my blade feeling the power shake my bones before I returned the same strike.

I leapt into the air and came down upon him causing Thorin to lean back into a slight crouch before pushing me off his blade. We fought up and down the meadow and I slipped past his guard, nicking his shoulder as he nicked my thigh in return. We locked blades both pushing against one another until Thorin's greater weight slipped down my sword and past my defenses trying to hold a blade to my neck. I shrunk down and rolled between his legs escaping his trap kicking him forward buying me time. I bolted to the woods weaving in and out of trees hearing Thorin follow my trail. I launched up a tree bounding off from trunk to trunk circling around behind Thorin's position. He waited in a center of trees as I came up behind him aiming to tackle him. His sharp ears caught my presence and faded to the right, disarming me in my pass.

Thorin had me pinned under him before I stopped rolling on the forest floor. I reached for my blade in my boot, but his left knee pinned my wrist down as his dagger rested against my beating jugular. "You are incredibly skilled for someone who has never fought in a war." Thorin panted still holding me in place.

"I still was defeated." I said in between breaths. Thorin was straddling my waist putting his full weight on me causing my face to begin burning with a growing blush.

Thorin leaned closer to my face with a smirk on his face. "I doubt it would be like that for much longer with Dwalin training you." Thorin's knife slid away from my throat, careful not to cut me. "I would like you to keep training for my nephew's sake." Thorin helped me back to my feet and handed me my sword.

"I will do what I can." I sheath my sword and let Thorin escort me back to the training Dwalin had continued showing the girls and Bilbo how to hold a sword properly.

Fili and Kili awaited our return and eagerly ran over to us as we emerged from the woods. "So, who won the duel?" Kili had asked his uncle who said nothing as he strode back to camp. "Did Lakota defeat Thorin?" Kili's voice squeaked a bit.

I gave Kili a whack in the back of his head. "No, you dork. Thorin won the duel." I said watching Thorin go back to camp remembering how graceful he was in battle. Every move was perfectly calculated as he maneuvered around my attacks waiting for the right moment. There was never a moment of hesitation or hint of fear as he poured his soul in each step and parry. I looked back at his nephews understanding why he needed me to keep training with them. "Now draw your swords, he said you two have more training to do."

The two brothers drew their swords together and I drew mine ready to dual as nightfall began to envelope the sky.