Chapter 20

Once we reached the company they all found something else to be interested in as if they were not watching from the base of the carrock or asking Kylie exactly what happened. Gandalf led the company through the woods in silence. I stayed close to Thorin's side needing to feel close to his presence after almost losing him to Azog. I began to feel the exhaustion creep up on me as I yawned and stumbled into Thorin. It had been close to two days with no sleep and even my elven magic started to fail me. Thorin steadied me from time to time until my consistent stumbling must have annoyed him as he scooped me up without warning and carried me bridal style tucking my head under his chin. His warmth crept through his armor kissing my skin softly making it harder to stay awake.

"What's wrong with Lakota?" Ori asked, peering over Thorin's shoulder and I yawned at him.

"She used too much of her magic." Thorin explained adjusting me to a more comfortable position. "She will be alright after she rests."

"Are you sure?" Ori's voice bobbled in pitch but sounded very distant as I buried my face deeper into Thorin's chest enjoying the individual hairs of his coat tickling my cheeks.

I listened to the deep breaths in his chest and inhaled the smell of cinnamon and leather with the tang of sweat lingering between the pine aroma. His stride felt gentle and rhythmic causing me to feel so very small in his arms like a child slumbering in a vine hammock nestled close to a river and I fell into a light slumber.

I dreamt of a magic filled forest with starlight that dripped down to the blossoms dancing in the night of the damp forest floor. The pine trees grew up forever outreached towards the moon as the midnight wind pushed them to and fro. Crickets sang under long blades of grass that were still wet with dusk dew covering the bunnies that slumbered in their nests. The cold bitterness of the night teased my senses, raising the hair on my body hyping me up for a dash through the forest. I laid back between the nightshade and pansy blossoms rolling in their flower beds covering myself in their pollen before my eyes caught a tiny brown mouse scurrying under the brush. I rolled to my belly ready to pounce with my eyes locked on target, my nails digging down into the moist dirt feeling the minerals slip under my nails. My muscles flexed under the skin aching for the command to move. My breath slowed becoming quieter hoping the mouse could not detect me. My ears twitched at the rustling of the small bare paws squishing the dead leaves they crawled across. Then there was a pause and the world silenced itself. I took my chance and launched-

I jolted awake still in Thorin's arms with my body trembling ready to fight. Glancing around the company realizing where I was I calmed my racing heart shaking my head back and forth. Thorin set me down on my own feet, my dull senses taking everything in slightly delayed until I took in a breath.

"What is it?" Gandalf's gruff voice washed over me with a relaxing sensation.

"Just a dream." I said listening to the forest around us as something whispered to me like a faint glow of a lighting bug floating through the air. "It's nothing." I lied tucking that sensation of familiarity deep in my chest.

The wizard raised his chin eyeing me down through his lashes like an old owl assessing its prey but nonetheless he did not pry further.

Footsteps scuffed down a mountain trail. Out of pure instinct and experience the company drew their weapons on little Bilbo who scudded to a stop in the middle of us.

"How close is the pack?" Thorin growled, lowering his sword.

"Too close." Bilbo puffed out of breath. "A couple of leagues but no more. But that is not the worst of it."

Dwalin circled the hobbit. "They picked up our scent?"

The honey brown curls of Bilbo's hair bounced as he shook his head. "No, but they will soon. We have another problem- "