Chapter 24

The following morning, we had saddled up some of Beorn's black and white painted horses packed down with food, weapons, and water for the long trip through Mirkwood. I went from horse to horse inspecting each rider and the packs they carried to ensure they could withstand the long non-stop ride to Mirkwood. Beorn had agreed to watch our rear to prevent any attacks from the lingering orcs around the borders of his lands.

I stopped next to Thorin's horse as he grumbled about Gandalf wasting daylight. I rolled my eyes at him and checked all the straps. Thorin offered a hand up. I shook my head denying him and he looked a bit hurt.

I gave him a reassuring smile. "I will not be riding but leading the company."

Thorin's hand brushed along my face and I turned into his hand kissing his palm. "Why do you always make me nervous?"

I leaned harder into his hand with a small chuckle. "Perhaps it's because you care too much for this elf."

Thorin's thumb swept across my cheekbone. "You have no idea."

I kissed the inside of his wrist, where his bracer had stopped, breathing in his cinnamon and pipe tobacco scent. I stepped back from him. "We will be alright. Trust me." I began leading the horses as they nickered and neighed impatiently into the wild. As we came over the hill at the edge of Beorn's lands I shifted into my wolf form and led on.

The trip was spent in utter silence across the mushy grasslands with the horses in single file to hide our numbers. I stayed in a well-paced trot allowing my mind to wander, feeling the whispering light I felt days ago lead me through the world towards its warmth. It felt so familiar, so nostalgic, that it put my mind at ease as if the light was protecting me. I inhaled the muggy thick air through my nose and over my half dried tongue.

A black and white painted stallion came up out of rank and cut me off my path. I halted feeling the mud squish between my toes. Fili held the reins of the horse tight to keep him from moving forward. Jenna clung to the prince's oversized coat. Her head leaned on his shoulder, her deep blue eyes shut tight. One sniff and the bitterness of fear trickled from their bodies.

I shifted back to the sound of steel being unleashed as the whole company behind me drew their swords. "Jenna what's wrong?"

Jenna let go of Fili as he helped her slide down from the horse and pulled me away from the group. "Can you feel that?" She whispered. The wind whipped around her hair.

"Feel what?"

Her blue eyes drifted southward. "That darkness...something is stirring in the south Lakota. My magic picked it up a while back and the closer we got to Mirkwood the stronger it feels. Something powerful and it's leaving a bad taste in my mouth."

"Dol Guldur is south of us." I said my gaze following hers. I brushed my hair back out of my face as the wind picked up whipping my hair around. "Do you remember how this story ends?"

She nodded, biting back tears. "The Battle of the Five Armies."

"That is where they will be coming from." I glanced over at the company who were still on alert. I felt a pang in my heart as I laid my eyes on the Durin sons knowing their fate. "We can only nudge them in the right direction."

"We need to move quickly then. We can't afford any more delays."

"Agreed. Are the horses doing well?"

Jenna did a quick head count. "I think so."

"Good, we will pick up the pace and try to avoid any attention from Dol Guldur. We're in the final stretch to the mountain."