chapter forty-seven

"This ticket is from 30 years ago when my dad ran the shop." The guy behind the counter states as the four stand in the pawn shop. "I'll have to go look through the box." He says, getting up and walking away.

"Box? What do you think box is?" Shawn whispers. "A giant room like in Raiders?"

"I think it's a box." Gus states, Vanessa nodding in agreement.

"Secret catacombs underneath the building like in National Treasure?" Shawn asks.

"Shame on you for knowing that." Gus says.

"This is where we keep all the old unclaimed stuff from over the years." The guy states, walking back with a cardboard box.

"Like I said, a box." Gus smiles.

"What do you think's inside the box?" Shawn asks.

"Will you calm down?" Gus asks.

"I can't, man. There's stuff in there." Shawn says. "All kinds of stuff, old stuff, shiny stuff, secret stuff. How come you're not as excited as I am?"

"Because I'm not a raccoon."

"You look like a raccoon."

The two point at each other for a quick second. Vanessa and Henry share an eye roll.

"Hey, you're in luck." The guy says, getting their attention. "This ticket here... matches this old receipt. Not a lot of info on it, I'm afraid." He says, giving the receipt to Shawn who takes it.

"Oh, I know what that--" Henry starts, but Shawn shuts him up. "Right. Your case."

"Oh, I'm getting something here." Shawn says, putting his hand to his temple. "Oh, this is intense. I can see Eugene. He's desperate and he's sweating nervously. He's stinky, he wants to get rid of something, cover his tracks, hide where he's been. So he brings in the title to his car. That must be the vehicle identification number right in there."

"Right. Whose benefit was that for?" Henry asks his son.

"Don't ever question my methods in front of a civilian, okay? Never do that." Shawn tells him.

"Come here." The four walk further into the shop.

"I always thought Eugene was gonna use the car in the bomb plot. That was a common M.O. back then. He probably pawned the title to cover his tracks." Henry says.

"if nobody reclaimed the title, we would've sold it." The guy states. The four huddle together, talking in quieter voices.

"We could use the VIN number to track where it ended up." Gus says.

"That could take us all over the city-- the state for that matter. Thus, increasing the chance that you'll be seen by someone you work with and you being caught by the police." Shawn tells Gus and his dad. He looks around. "unless..." He backs up to one of the racks of clothes. "Nobody recognizes us."

~ ~ ~