chapter sixty-eight

"Where are the bunnies?" Gus asks as him, Vanessa, and her kids get to the Psych office.

"What?" Shawn asks.

"You said someone left a dozen bunnies on the front doorstep, and you didn't know how to feed them." Gus says.

"Oh, yeah. I made that up." Shawn says.

"So there's no bunnies?" Madison frowns.

"No. Uh, no bunnies... sorry, Mads." Shawn says, the four year old pouting. "Why are they here?" He asks Vanessa.

"You were on speaker, they weren't in their room like I thought." Vanessa informs. "They weren't able to be talked out of it and I didn't wanna deal with three tantrums.

"Right. Cool. Anyways, I just needed you guys here." Shawn says.

"This is about a case, isn't it?" Gus asks.

"What do you think?" Shawn asks.

"I should have known, especially when they were falling asleep in the palm of your hand." Gus says.

"Look, I was humiliated by Lassiter -- Carlton Lassiter. A challenge has been issued, and I need every tool we've got." Shawn states.

"Are you calling me a tool?" Gus asks.

"Are you calling me a tool?" Vanessa asks, a little more offence in her voice.

"Don't call mommy a tool!" Zachary orders, glaring at Shawn.

"I'm calling you my partners. My logic brains, my magic wish machine. My mama bear instincts." Shawn says.

"What?" Vanessa whispers.

"What have we got?" Gus asks.

Shawn clears his throat and a guy walks in.

"Oh, my name is Raj. I have a curse." He states, starting to shake Shawn's hand. Hearing the last word, Gus snaps his hand away from Raj's and drags Shawn away.

"Oh. No, no, no, no, Shawn. I don't do curses. You know that." Gus says.

"Gus, come on." Shawn sighs.

"That mummy almost sucked my eyes out." Gus says.

"It wasn't a mummy."

"Yes, it was."

"It was a snobby guy and an effeminate dude in a wheelchair."

"Apples and oranges."

"How are those in the slightest bit similar?" Vanessa questions.

"I wanna meet a mummy." Zach says.

"Trust me, no, you don't." Gus tells him

"This is a love curse." Shawn whispers. "Yeah. Poor guys thinks there's some kind of hex on all the girls he tries to hook up with. We just need to do some investigating, find some evidence, convince him he's not cursed so that he can live a full and happy life with his lady love. Man, this is a matter of the heart."

"He's paying us, right?" Gus asks.

"Yeah, cash." Raj informs.

"Oh, we're doing this." Vanessa states.

+++

"The last four women that I've dated have all had terrible accidents. With each girl, it gets worse and worse. The first one had a car accident. Another's apartment burned down." Raj informs as they get to the place where the show takes place.

"What do you do after these things happen?" Gus asks.

"I break up with them. I have tried to be alone, believe me, I have, but then I met Mina, and my heart couldn't help itself. I just keep thinking that the next time will be different, but every woman that I fall in love with is targeted by forces I can't fight."