what you think I've done wrong

Summary: Howard Stark doesn't know he has a grandson. Peter knows all too well about his grandfather. Not meaning to, they meet.

In 50 years, Howard's parenting has not improved.
TW child abuse

Peter lies back on the couch in Dad's office, sketchpad in his lap and headphones in his ears. Gregory Alan Isakov soothes him as he works on a portrait for art class, photographic memory saving him the needless hassle of using a reference.

He'd arrived half an hour ago, taking a bus from school after Tony had texted him, warning that he'd be late and Peter could spend time in the office while he waited. Peter let himself up when he arrived, greeting all employees he passed by name. He let himself in to the vacant office and got settled on the couch; whenever Dad said he worked late, he could be stuck in meetings anywhere from ten extra minutes, all the way until midnight, on some not-so-rare occasions. And so, Peter is prepared to wait.

What he isn't prepared for, however, is for a man to walk into the office, and for Peter's gut instincts to claim safe at the sight of the familiar face - except, this face isn't familiar. It bears some resemblance, sure, a twinkle in his dark eyes, a sharp jawline, but despite the similarities of the man that just walked in, he is not Tony.

Meaning, he must be Howard.

Howard, the grandfather Peter never wanted to meet. Peter heard nothing of Howard when he was young, Tony had made sure of that. Once Peter got old enough to realize someone in his family tree was missing, Tony sat him down, explained the person Howard was, but left it up to Peter to decide whether or not he wanted to meet his grandfather. Peter steadfastly declined, and his opinion remained unchanged.

Now, though, the universe must've made a different decision for him.

Peter pulls the headphones from his ears, watching warily as Howard steps into the room. He scans the bookshelves to the left, looks to the desk across the far wall, and finally his eyes land on Peter, and his spine stiffens.

"Who are you and what are you doing here?" Howard demands immediately. Peter's eyes narrow as he looks up at Howard from the couch, Tony's stories coming flooding back. This is a man that deserves no respect - at least, he'll be getting none from Peter.

"Peter," he introduces himself. Howard scoffs at him, at the basic introduction that reveals too little. Peter doesn't care; he won't be giving any more.

"What are you doing in my office?" Peter bites back a retort. Not your office. "You'd better start answering me. I can have security here in two seconds flat." Call 'em, Peter taunts silently, hiding a grim smile. Officer Lily gave me a piece of candy on the way in; I sincerely doubt she'd throw me out. "You at least got a last name, Peter?"

Peter lifts his chin. "Stark."

Howard laughs, reaching for the phone in his back pocket. "Alright, show's over, pal. I'm calling security."

"I doubt they'd throw out the person who'll be inheriting this office after Dad's gone," Peter challenges, unable to restrain himself. He's not actually taking over the company - he told Tony he wasn't interested, and Tony backed off, but Howard doesn't need to know that.

Peter glares up at Howard, who freezes, hand half way to his phone.

"Dad," he mouths silently, repeating as he analyzes Peter. His leans closer, eyes narrowing. "You're not kidding about being a Stark, are you?"