Happy Belated Birthday

A/n: may forgets peters brithday❤️🙂

"Aunt May?"

May looked up from the pot she had been leaning over, keeping a watchful eye on the sauce she was making up for dinner. Peter stood in the entrance of the kitchen, hands curling in the sleeves of his too large jumper. May liked to call them his sweater paws as he was always doing this whenever he wore a jumper. She wasn't sure if he realised or not, or if it was just a habit he had developed over the years.

"Hi sweetie, what's up?" May asked.

"Can Ned come over tomorrow?" Peter asked. "He's back from visiting his Grandma, finally, and-"

"Of course," May beamed, cutting Peter off from what would have been an unnecessary long-winded rant. "Ned's always welcome over, you know that."

Peter bobbed his head, a small smile tugging at his lips. "Great. Thanks." And then he was spinning around and heading back to his room.

May bit her lip as she watched her nephew return to his room. Something had happened in the past week that had caused him to withdraw. He wasn't nearly as talkative as he usually was, barely a smile on his face. May had tried to ask; was Flash getting to him? Had something happened on patrol that he didn't want them to know about? Was he missing Ned that much?

Peter had assured her that there was nothing wrong and that he was fine. A quick text to Tony had confirmed that nothing had happened on patrol, but Peter had also cancelled his weekly lab sessions with the genius, claiming that he had too many tests to study for. This was true but Peter seemed sad and May wasn't sure that his workload was not what was bringing him down.

The smoke alarm suddenly started blaring and May whipped around to see smoke pouring out of the pot. "Shit!"

She switched off the stove, grabbing the nearest tea towel and started waving it in frantically over the smoke alarm in an attempt to shut it off. In the cloud of smoke that was filling their apartment she saw Peter hurry to throw open all the windows, quickly grabbing another tea towel and joined her in fanning that room as best they could.

When the alarm finally shut off, May coughed and dropped the tea towel in defeat. "Pizza?"

"Whatever you feel like," Peter shrugged.

May sighed heavily and reached for her phone.

May was doing the remaining dishes from last night's dinner (the pot had been a lost cause and she had simply tossed it) when Ned arrived the next day.

For the first time in over a week Peter was excited. When there was a knock on the door, Peter went flying across the apartment, yanking open the door with a flourish that had May blinking.

"Dude!" Ned greeted, smiling brightly. A backpack was slung over his shoulders, a hat a top of his head, clearly going all out for the day.

"Ned!" Peter pulled his best friend into a hug before dragging him into the apartment. "You're back! Is your grandma okay?"

"She's fine," Ned smiled. "I think this was, like, the eighteenth time she said she was going to die? She said she could hear death coming for her, but it turned out that there was a possum in her roof. Hey May!"

"Hey Ned," May turned to smile over her shoulder. "Glad to hear your Grandma is okay."

"Me too," Ned grinned. He swung his backpack over his shoulder, unzipping it. "Oh hey, dude, I got you something."

"You didn't have to do that," Peter frowned but he was looking curiously as Ned rummaged through the bag.

"Of course, I did," Ned scoffed before withdrawing a medium sized box wrapped in paper. "It's a Death Star puzzle. Happy Birthday, dude! Sorry it's so late."