Ten - Molly

It's the best day I've had in weeks. Months. Maybe even the past two years.

Leo's amazing—a little too amazing. He's funny, smart, and ambitious. And he loves to have fun. He's not bad to look at either. If it hadn't been for this mess I've gotten myself into with Valentino, I might actually be interested in him.

After the beach, we stop at a taco truck for lunch, then take Sonny to one of those pet stores where you can wash your own dog and let them pick out a treat. By the time we get back to my place, Sonny can barely keep his eyes open. He hops up on the couch and falls asleep as tiny snores vibrate his nostrils.

It's late afternoon, and I'm not ready to call it quits. I'm hoping Leo might want to watch a movie or something.

"I had a good time today," I say, mustering up the courage to suggest another activity.

When I try to gauge his reaction, Leo's lips flatten into a frown. "We should go to the hospital."

That's not what I expected to hear.

I blink. "Right now?"

I'm not ready for the reality check. It's not that I don't care about Valentino, but visiting the hospital is the last thing I want to do. What I want to do is hang out with Leo.

He nods. "I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a guilty conscience."

I swallow hard, my heart picking up speed in my chest. Did Leo have a good time with me, too? "Guilty about what?"

An uneasy expression takes over his face. "Here we are having all sorts of fun, while Val is stuck in a hospital bed, unconscious. He would have loved taking Sonny to the beach."

"Oh." Something sinks in my chest. "I was planning to see him after work tomorrow. But if you want to..."

"It's the right thing to do."

"Um, okay." I nod. "I'll just put something on over my tank top."

I grab a lightweight button-up from my closet, slide my arms through the long sleeves, and walk back into the living room. "You're sure Sonny will be okay while we're gone?"

"He's so exhausted, he probably won't even notice." Leo scratches Sonny's head and we head out to the truck.

The drive to the hospital is quiet, and everytime I think of Valentino's family, anxiety churns in my stomach. "You said his parents stay with him?"

Leo gives me a quick glance before turning back to the road. "We have a big family, Someone's always there."

Awesome.

It doesn't take long before Leo's pulling into the parking garage and we're walking through the ICC to Valentino's room. When we knock on the door, I'm relieved to find the only person there is his mother.

"Hello, Mrs. De la Mora," I say as she swallows me in a hug.

"Please. It's Marisol." She smiles, but circles darken the space beneath her eyes, and a crinkle appears across her forehead. "How are things with Sonny?"

I glance at Leo before turning back. "Things are ... good. Leo showed me his favorite place at the beach to play."

Marisol folds Leo in a hug next. "That's my favorite nephew." She gives him a loving pat on the back and pulls away. "Just don't tell the others I said that."

Leo laughs quietly. "I wouldn't dream of it, Aunt Marisol."

My gaze slides to the bed. Valentino is propped up on a two pillows, his tanned skin gleaming against the stark white fabric. A tuft of dark hair sweeps across his forehead, giving him an almost boyish appeal. I'm used to seeing it styled, even for a day sunbathing on the beach.

"He's so beautiful, he doesn't even look real," I say before I can stop myself.

Marisol's hand gently grasps my shoulder. "Don't be afraid—you can talk to him. The doctor says we should include him in our conversations."

Heat blasts up my neck and across my face. What am I supposed to say to this man who doesn't even know I exist, in front of a family who thinks we're engaged?

I take a tentative step forward, and then another, until I'm at the side of his bed.

"You can sit here." Marisol pushes a chair up behind me and I fall back into the seat.

I give her a weak smile, Leo's mere presence singeing the back of my neck. I wipe a bead of sweat from my forehead.

"Go ahead. Take his hand," she encourages.

Panic claws at my chest. Very carefully, I grasp Valentino's hand in mine. His skin is smooth and warm, and so much softer than my own. It reminds me of my cousins' skin when they were babies.

"Hello, Valentino. It's, um, Molly." When I glance at Marisol, she gives me an approving nod. "I have Sonny. I don't want you to worry about him, I'm doing my best to take care of him while you're here. I know he can't say it, but I think he misses you—we had sort of a rough night." I attempt a small laugh. "To cheer him up, Leo took us to the beach."

I look over my shoulder and meet Leo's gaze, but he's not smiling. He almost looks—sad.

I hate doing this in front of him. Hate pretending to have feelings for someone he cares about. I knew coming here was a mistake.

My attention returns to Valentino. "Your family is always here, and they love you so much. You're very lucky," I tell him in a shaky voice. "I promise to check on you often, and I'll stop back whenever I can. But I don't want to interfere with your rest. You need to concentrate on getting better, and coming home to Sonny, and to your family." I hesitate and lower my voice. "And to me."

Bile stings the back of my throat. What the hell am I doing? Instead of working to make this better, I'm only falling deeper inside the hole. Valentino's family is going to hate me when this is all said and done. Leo's going to hate me, too.

And I can't blame him. The truth will come out eventually. It always does.

And I'll be the villain.

15,438 words to date.