Fifteen - Molly

After work on Monday, I start the long trek from the job site back to my car as the afternoon sunlight dances across the Atlantic. It's the beginning of rush hour and cars sit stagnant in the road, waiting to move through the construction. Between the ocean breeze and the palm trees keeping the sun at bay, the walk is ordinarily pleasant, but today the occasional horn or cursing motorist is enough to put me on edge.

Or maybe it's my overactive imagination getting the best of me?

I can't get that dance with Leo out of my head. He was so patient as he taught me the steps, and everytime he brought me close, it wasn't nearly close enough. I wonder if he felt the same? Sometimes, I think he might, unless it's just wishful thinking.

He's so amazing, and every moment I spend with him, the more and more I'm aware of it.

"Hey, Molly—wait up."

Uncle Gus closes the gap between us and falls in line beside me on the sidewalk. "I just got off the phone with Elise. She asked me to invite you to dinner."

The ocean breeze swirls around us. I readjust the hard hat in the crook of my arm and push back the hair that's fallen out of my ponytail. "Tell her thanks, but I have plans. Maybe next week?"

"Sure, okay." He squints over at me and grins. "What're up to? Hot date with your fiance's cousin?"

"Actually, I'm going to see Valentino."

His grin falls away. "Is everything alright?"

"Still no changes, if that's what you mean," I say. "I just feel obligated to check in on him—especially now that I've met his entire family." The guilt in my voice is obvious.

Uncle Gus clears his throat and pushes a hand through his mop of disheveled hair. "I'm sorry, this is all my fault. I should have never told those paramedics you were engaged." He turns away and an irritated huff of air blows out his nose. "Me and my big, fat mouth."

There's no point in both of us feeling guilty.

"Come on, Uncle Gus." My arm gently nudges his. "It's not your fault. I didn't have to go along with it—I did that on my own."

"Still." He shakes his head and purses his lips in aggravation. "I've learned my lesson. I'll never interfere in anyone's love life again. Cross my heart."

I don't even bother trying not to laugh. "I don't believe that for a second. Besides, not all of your matchmaking has ended in tragedy. Remember when you set Ronnie up with one of Aunt Elise's friends?" I say, referring to a former co-worker. "They've been happily married for almost three years."

Uncle Gus shrugs. "Yeah, I guess. But she took one of my best workers with her when she up and transferred to Denver—so, still sort of a tragedy."

"Not for them." I give him a smile, hoping it will help ease his mind. "I promise, I don't hold you responsible. This is all on me."

When we get to our cars, Uncle Gus pauses at my door. "Any idea what you're gonna do?"

I pull in a sharp breath and try to keep my expression steady—which is the exact opposite of how I feel. "I'm going to tell them the truth."

A look of surprise crosses his face. "Seriously? When?"

"Right now. Valentino's family is always with him at the hospital. I'm going to go there and tell them I've been lying."

Uncle Gus's mouth presses into a straight line. "Do you want me to go with you?"

I shake my head and open my car door. A rush of heat from inside hits me square in the face. "Nope. I need to do this on my own."

"If you're sure..." But I can tell he's not sold on the idea. "Make sure to call if you need reinforcements. Elise, the kids, and I always have your back."

"I know you do." A sudden lump swells in my throat. In an uncharacteristic display of affection, I throw my arms around Uncle Gus's neck and squeeze. "Since Mom died, you've always tried to be there for me, but I wouldn't let you. I don't know why. I think maybe part of me has been afraid I'd lose you, too. But I'm starting to see how important family is—and I promise, I'll be a better niece. Because I'm happy you're my uncle and I love you."

I've caught him off guard. His arms fumble at first, but then they wrap around my waist. When he finally speaks, his voice is thick with emotion. "I love you too, kiddo."

🌴

I'm so nervous, I want to throw up.

After I leave Uncle Gus, I drive home to shower and let Sonny outside. When I'm about to leave for the hospital, Sonny meets me at the door, his tail wagging. "Sorry, boy. You can't come this time. When I get home, I'll take you for a walk. How would you like that?"

Sonny twirls in a circle, grinning. Leo was here earlier to check in on him, but I feel bad leaving again after working all day.

I call Sonny over to the couch. He hops up next to me and lays his head in my lap. "I know you don't understand this, but there's something I need to do and I'm not sure how it's going to turn out."

He stares up at me with trusting brown eyes. My fingers inch along his snout and over the top of his head.

"I've made a big mistake, and I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it better. But I have to try, even if everyone hates me because of it," I tell him. "I'm also not sure what this will mean for you. Depending on how things go, there's a real possibility you'll be moving in with someone else tonight. I just want you to know that despite how things started out between us, I've really enjoyed having you here."

Sonny continues to watch me as if he knows what I'm saying. When I lean closer and press my cheek to his head, something wet touches my skin. I'm crying.

"You're a good boy, even if you do sneak up on my bed every night. If you want to know the truth—and I will never admit this to anyone else—but, I kind of like it. It's been so different in this house since my mom died. You make it feel like home."

Before I can change my mind, I sniffle and push myself off the couch, wiping the tears from my face. "I have to go."

And then I give Sonny one last hug.