Seventeen - Leo

Chief's lips flatten into a frown. "You're talking crazy. You know that, don't you?"

Who knows—maybe I am? Honestly, right now, I can barely even think straight.

Instead of admitting that out loud, I shake my head and stare at the framed photo of Chief's family on his desk. "I've made up my mind."

"But transferring out of state? I'm sorry, that just seems a little drastic. Actually—it seems a lot drastic," he says. "I thought you wanted my job?"

"There are a lot of things I want that I can't have."

Chief scratches his head and studies me. "This isn't about Molly, is it?"

A slow heat rolls over my face. "It has nothing to do with Molly. I'm just ready for a change."

"Leo..." He lets out a slow breath and props his elbows on the desk. "Running away from your problems won't make them go away. I saw you two at the twins' party. You were looking pretty cozy, if you ask me. And that was the first time in months I've seen you that happy."

I shrug and turn away.

"What's going on?" Chief finally says.

I'm quiet for a long beat as my brain rehashes the afternoon. "I was just up at the hospital."

"Everything okay with Val?"

The muscles clench in my jaw. "I don't know. I never went into his room."

Confusion spreads across his face. "I don't understand..."

"You were right, Chief. It's Molly. I can't get her out of my head." I push out an aggravated breath and scrub a hand over my face. "When I got up to the ICU, she was there, just the two of them together. I didn't want to interrupt, but I couldn't stop myself from watching—just for a minute. I know that sounds creepy, but you should have seen the way she was looking at him. And then she held his hand and started crying—" I shake my head as an ache tightens in my chest. "She's in love with him. And there's no way I can spend the rest of my life watching the two of them together."

"Still. This isn't like you."

"I guess I'm not the man I thought I was. First, letting myself get close to my cousin's fiancé. And now running away, like the heartbroken jerk that I am."

"Woah, now. You hold it right there," Chief says. His brows slant in a way that I know from experience means he's serious. "You were not the only one who looked like they were more than enjoying themselves. That girl has feelings for you, too. It was written all over her face. Maybe she doesn't even realize it, but anyone who saw the two of you would know how deeply you care for one another."

"But you didn't see them together. She was crying. I saw it with my own two eyes!"

The moment I caught sight of my aunt and uncle coming down the hall, I made a quick escape. No way did I want them catching me in that moment. I'm not sure how I would have reacted.

Chief stubbornly shakes his head. "I stand by what I say."

Defeated, I slump back in the chair as the last ounce of willpower I have leaks out of me. "Then that's even more reason for me to get the hell out of Miami. I'm not going to come in between my cousin and his fiancé."

"But Denver? That's half way across the country!" Chief steeples his fingers together and presses them to his chin. "Transferring between cities has its own set of challenges, but leaving the state is a whole other story. I'm not sure how many hoops you'll have to jump through to make this work out."

"I'll do whatever it takes."

"Are you sure there's nothing I can do to change your mind?"

I wish there were. The thought of leaving Miami is like a knife in my gut. I love everything about living here. And the mere idea of leaving my family...

But I can't stay. Florida's not big enough anymore. "Nope. I'm trading my water skis in for a snowboard."

"Just do me a favor and give it some more thought. Hasty decisions are not usually smart ones," Chief says. "Will you at least consider what I've said?"

For a long beat, all we do is stare at one another. And then my phone vibrates in my back pocket.

I pull it out and glance at the screen. "It's my mom."

"Ah, Ms. Salsa herself." His lips quirk up at the corner as he refers to their little waltz around the party. "You better take that."

I press accept and step into the hall. "Hey, mamà. How are you?"

"Oh, Leo—I have the most amazing news," she breathes into the phone. "Val's awake, and he has no pain, or negative side effects. And the best part is, he remembers all of us!"

Relief rises in my chest. "That's amazing! So, he's really going to be alright?"

"He's perfect! And you're not going to believe this, but Molly was here for the whole thing."

I can feel my face soften. "How's she doing?"

Mom laughs. "Overwhelmed, the poor thing! I think she's getting ready to leave. Would you like me to put her on?"

I shake my head. "No, no. I'll talk to her later. Give her some time to decompress."

"Oh, hijo. This is the best day ever! Our family has truly been blessed."

A giant lump forms in my throat. "Yes. We're very lucky."

Mom sniffles in my ear. "Anyway, I just wanted to give you a heads up. I have more people to call."

"Thank you, mamá. It really is wonderful news."

There's a long pause on the other end. "Is everything alright? You don't sound like yourself."

I swallow back a sigh. "I'm fine, I promise. You just caught me off guard with this happy surprise."

"It is a happy surprise, isn't it? The power of family is a glorious thing."

After we hang up, I lean against the wall and stare up at the ceiling. Valentino waking up is a true miracle. But it changes nothing. In fact, it only confirms what I must do.

I let out a breath and push away from the tile. Chief is still working at his desk.

"I don't need to think about it," I say when he looks up from his computer. "I want to transfer to Denver. And the sooner the better."