Fourteen - Molly

Despite my reservations, I'm having a fantastic time at the twins' party.

With their kind words and welcoming nature, the De la Mora's are experts in putting me at ease. They're everything a family should be, just like those old sitcoms Mom used to watch on TV. They have no qualms about showing their love for one another, and they're just as quick to playfully give someone a hard time.

Whenever a sliver of guilt needles its way into my conscience, I push it to the darkest corners of my mind. Perhaps in another life, another time, all of this could have been mine? The big family; support and security. Unconditional love.

But I don't want to think about that. I can't. Because how can I miss something I never had to begin with?

As Claudia and Elena show me off as the newest member of their family, part of my attention remains fixed across the yard. From where I'm standing, it's impossible to get a good read on Leo and Lela's conversation. Judging from the look on Leo's face, whatever they're talking about must be serious. His brows slant inward, and tension pinches the delicate skin around his eyes. But he doesn't look upset—perhaps pensive is a better word.

Every so often, Lela, who looks to be about my age, gives him a smile or offers him her hand. Their obvious connection makes me wish I had siblings of my own, which is something I'd never given much thought to before. Mom had a way of making me feel like we were enough, just the two of us on our own, with Uncle Gus and Aunt Elise—and of course, Willa Mae—decorating the fringe. I wanted for nothing.

Or maybe I did and I just didn't realize it.

When the twins are satisfied with their round of introductions, we head back to Leo and Lela and claim the empty seats. While I was gone, Sonny doffed his leash and acquired a bowl of water. Lazily, he laps at it from his place in the grass.

"How'd it go?" Leo asks as I settle in beside him.

His expression is lighter now, not as sober as before. "Your family is amazing," I tell him. "You're very lucky."

"They're your family now, too."

The more I'm around them, the more I wish that were true. An uncomfortable ache swells in my throat, but I swallow past it and nod.

Once the food is set out, we help ourselves to roasted pork, black-eyed pea salad, baked plantains, and more side dishes than will comfortably fit on my plate. After even more introductions, we wander back to our seats, and I'm surprised to find Lela in the chair next to mine.

"Hope you don't mind," she says as I slide in beside her.

"Not at all."

Leo sets down his plates, but doesn't sit. "Can I get you ladies anything to drink?"

I grin up at him. "Thank you. Water would be nice."

When he turns to Lela, an expression I don't understand flits across his face. It almost looks like a warning. "And what about you, mi querida hermana?"

Lela flashes an innocent smile and holds up her bottle of soda. "I'm good."

As Leo makes his way to the coolers, I push a fork around my plate and bite into a side dish I don't recognize. It looks like chunks of pineapple drizzled with herbs and sauce, but the moment it hits my taste buds, I make a screwy face. "Oh! This isn't what I was expecting."

Lela laughs. "It's called yuca con mojo. It's yuca roots mixed with onions, garlic, and lime juice. You don't like it?"

I'm on the fence. Before I make a decision, I fork another piece into my mouth and savor the flavor as it unfurls across my tongue. "It's not bad. Sweet yet nutty—very interesting."