Chapter Twenty Three

Hey everyone, I just wanted to say thank you so so much for all the reads, votes, comments and library adds after last chapter that really awesome!! Frostbite got to #62 in paranormal so yay, that's pretty cool. I go back to school next week so updates will probably slow down but I promise I'll make an effort to update regularly - don't hesitate to remind me lol time flies when you are stuck in school.

Anyway, I hope you guys like this chapter!!

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

I wake up to a resounding smack as my head cracks against the window. I sat up quickly to avoid swinging wildly in the opposite direction as the car spun making an awful screeching sound.

Groaning, I blinked my eyes open into bright sunlight. My head was pounding, both from smacking it on the window and from whatever wacky faery drink I'd been drinking the night before.

"Sorry," Rhys said, although he didn't sound particularly sorry. When I turned to glare at him he was smirking.

I chose to ignore that and instead began to survey my surroundings. We appeared to have arrived in New York City. The buildings were rising astronomically above us, and I'll admit it was a little bit scary to feel so small. Even though when I glanced at the clock on the dashboard it only read 6:04am, the streets were already humming with the buzz of activity. On the corners of streets, people were sitting selling artwork or crafts or food, and the little cafes that peppered the street were brimming with eager patrons.

I had never been to New York City before. I didn't recognise where we were, but it didn't seem like the heart of the city. I couldn't see Times Square, that's for sure.

Rhys pulled off the main road suddenly, cutting across the opposing lane of traffic and forcing the car travelling towards us to come to a screeching halt.

"Watch it, asshole!" came the angry response from the driver.

Rhys simply laughed and continued into the side street.

"Was that really necessary?" I asked, exasperated.

"No, but it made me feel good."

I sighed. Men.

He parked the car haphazardly behind a van across a glaring strip of yellow lines. I opened my mouth to tell him that it was illegal to park here but then I realised that he probably didn't care. He definitely doesn't care, I told myself as he swung out the car. He pressed a button on his keys to lock the car and then began walking down the road without even waiting to see if I was following.

For a moment I considered just turning around a leaving. I could hitchhike back home if I had to, or I could go to the police or borrow a phone and call mum or Carrie, or something. Then I remembered that I couldn't go home. Not now, not ever unless Kael is gone, I reminded myself sternly.

I huffed irascibly to myself and then began to follow Rhys.

There were a few people selling things down this small street; I passed a man selling hats and gloves and scarves that had 'I heart NY' on them and a small woman bundled up in several layers of coats was very persistent in trying to sell me her paintings. I had stopped to admire them, they were paintings of different New York icons; Times Square, Central Park and the like. They had all been painted in black and white, with a different colour scheme. One was a yellow taxi whizzing through a black and white street. I had to admit, the effect was interesting. However, I didn't have any money to pay for art - and what would I do with it?

"No, thanks, I really like them but I don't have any money." I tried to explain to her.

"No, no, no, I'll give you a good price, see? Twenty dollars for this one, I'll sell to you for ten. Ten dollars!"