Chapter Twelve

Yay, I updated on schedule! Woohoo! Okay, thank you to everyone who read, voted, commented on the last chapter! And also thank you to all of my new readers who have been adding and reading this book! Frostbite got up to #140 in Paranormal this week, so thank you all so so much! Here is chapter twelve for you all and I hope you like it! xoxo

I gotta get you out of my system
I gotta get you off of my mind
But how do I hold on when no one compares
They only keep me occupied
- Alison Gray off my mind

CHAPTER TWELVE

I opened my eyes into darkness. My whole body felt like it had been hit by a truck and dragged across several miles of glass - suffice to say, it hurt. Pins and needles buzzed in my feet and along my arms which were yanked painfully behind my head. I was slumped against the wall and heavy manacles were draped over my wrists, chafing painfully.

From what I could see in the dim lighting, I was in a cell.

What the freaking hell?

I was barely aware that I was shaking, my breath hitching in my throat as my horror grew.

Where was I?

I strained against my bonds, struggling to breathe as the gravity of my situation hit me. I had been kidnapped. That guy, Rhys, whoever he was, was a freak and he had drugged and kidnapped me! I recoiled into the wall as cold hands pressed against my shoulders.

"Hey, calm down, just breathe." His voice was soothing, and familiar.

Rhys.

"I, wait, what? Where, how, oh my god."

He lifted his hands in a calming gesture.

"I promise that I can explain everything."

He leaned back against the wall and then I saw it. Silver manacles encircling his wrists, chaining him to the wall behind him.

If he didn't kidnap me, then who did?

"Alright," I said, my voice shaking slightly, "explain."

He took a deep breath and leaned his head against the wall, closing his eyes for a moment.

"What do you want to know?"

A thousand questions leapt to mind, but the most pressing of all, was what did he have to do with Katie's death?

"Did you kill Katie?"

He frowned.

"The girl in the park? No, of course not."

"Well, what were you doing there? And," I shuddered in remembrance, "what the hell were those things?"

He smiled wryly.

"Those 'things' were fey. As am I."

There was complete and utter silence. In any other situation, I would have laughed at him, but now, chained to a wall in god knows where, I was prepared to listen to anything, anything that made any sort of sense at all. Which this didn't, but I supposed I could give him the benefit of the doubt.

"O-kay. Go on."

"I was exiled here, to the human realm, for breaking the laws of my people. Those things that you saw at the park, they were also exiles."

"But they were all deformed and you're..." gorgeous, was the word that sprang to mind, but instead I simply settled for, "not."

"No. They were ordinary fey once, sprites, elves or pixies. Once they were exiled, their magic couldn't survive the separation from the fey realm and they became what you saw in the park. I was strong enough to survive in the human realm, but eventually, I will become like that too."