Chapter One

Hey, so here's chapter one. It's short, but it finished where I wanted it to and you get to meet a few characters, so hey. :) Enjoy! Thank you again for the support for Rules Were Made to be Broken I still can't believe it got through to the finalists! Cover on the side made by Jenny20 , thankyou it's gorgeous! :)

Some legends are told
Some turn to dust or to gold
But you will remember me
Remember me for centuries
- Centuries by Fallout Boy

CHAPTER ONE

To be honest, standing on a deserted highway at midnight isn't really the safest thing to do. I wouldn't recommend it, myself. If you can't get a ride home from a wild Halloween party after breaking up with your boyfriend, then I would suggest putting your head on the chopping block ...and calling your parents.

However, since I'm an idiot, I was standing on a deserted highway at midnight, and to top it all off, I was trying to hitchhike.

Just a pointer when hitchhiking - which you should never, ever do anyway; you should be somewhere you might actually encounter a car. For the last fifteen minutes I had seen no sign of life, nothing at all that would tell me that I was living in a town with people in it.

I was about to turn around and head back to the party to find Amy when I heard the tell-tale screech of tires. I peered into the darkness but I couldn't see anything approaching me.

"I'm mad. I'm hearing things. Oh look, and talking to myself. Bloody brilliant!" I muttered as I teetered in my heels in the middle of the road.

Then I froze, spinning around to face the sleek black car that was speeding towards me.

There was no time to move.

I closed my eyes.

The car flung me aside like a rag doll and I landed several meters away, off the road. When the impact had come I had felt a bone in my arm snap, and several of my ribs had caved in.

My breath came in shallow, quick gasps.

I could hear a car door opening and hurried footsteps coming towards me and I unwillingly opened my eyes a fraction. It was too dark and I was in too much pain to see the person but a cool hand brushed my throat.

"Well?" came a harsh voice from further away.

The hand on my throat moved away.

"She's as good as dead."

"Good." Replied the first voice. "Can we go now? They'll be here soon!"

"Yes. Goodbye, sweetheart. See you in the afterlife..."

The acrid scent of car exhaust drifted to my nose and I coughed faintly.

I was going to die.

Somehow, knowing that it was really happening made it easier. I opened my eyes to the night sky, and in the moment before I drew my last breath, I found a star.

My heartbeat slowed and I held onto my star, watching the icy glow permeating the inky canvas of the night.

If dying was peaceful, then why didn't it feel like it? Loud voices echoed in the recesses of my mind, and I could barely make out what they were saying. There were three of them, one female and two male, from what I could hear.

"Dead. Already." Murmured the female voice and I shivered at her cold tone.

I felt a slight pressure on my chest and a breath of cool air over my skin.

"Not yet. Her blood hasn't cooled. We could-"

"-No! Rhys, you can't!" the third voice cut off the second sharply.

"I can. I have to." Replied the second voice.

I heard a distinctly feminine sigh and then it was just me and the second voice, the one who had been called "Rhys".

The pressure returned to my chest and I briefly wondered why I wasn't dead. It wasn't painful at first, more uncomfortable but then it grew to an agonizing point. It was like a pinnacle of ice growing in my chest, spreading fingers of pain to every inch of my body.

I was frozen, and burning.

"Rhys! We have to go now. Someone's coming!" the third voice called insistently.

Even though the pressure had been released from my chest, the pain remained.

"Don't take this gift lightly, love, I'll be back..." A mere whisper, carried on a Winter wind drifted past me, but I was too far gone into the abyss to hear.

I fell into sleep carried on a frozen wind.

I didn't even get to see the 'someone' who had arrived and scared off the trio of strangers.

So, what did you think? Vote if you liked it, comment your thoughts, and enjoy! Next update will hopefully be next week. :)