Confession

Penelope's P.O.V

Late that night or early that morning, me, Gally and Thomas, emerge from the tunnel of stank. Coming into the light of the base. But as we do, I notice the smell hasn't gone away. But I also realize that the smell isn't from the tunnel. It's from me. I am definitely looking forward to showering (if that's available).
"Welcome back" Frypan announces. He has a bright smile on his face and I return it upon seeing him. I've always appreciated Frypan, he's incredibly nice and makes amazing food when it's available.
All my friends and companions say "hello" and "good to see you". I try and return all of my friends excitement at seeing us again, but I'm extremely tired.
Everyone was waiting for us, except Newt. My worries, if any, disappear though, when Newt comes out from behind a wall. He's tugging at his sleeve, but I don't notice as I run up and hug him tightly.
"You made it back" He says, stating the obvious.
"I promised you I would."
We release the hug, and continue the joyous reunion.

I finally checked the time and saw that me and the others arrived back here around 12:50 am, and due to this late hour, Lawrence allows us to spend the night at the hideout. He provides makeshift living spaces, and left us all alone for the night. The "homes" are very small it's a four walled room that's strung with a few string lights and the bed consists of a mattress and a thin blanket.
After I ask around I find out A small shower was available, but it only ran cold water, it was better then nothing, so I took it.
I shiver as the cold water flows over me and try to focus on other things other then my frozen body temperature. The water only lasts about seven minutes before it shuts off.
I get out of the chamber and dress in the extra change of clothes I smartly thought to bring.
I bag my stuff and wander back to mine and Newts room, when I step in my eyesight is settled on the ground, but I look up and see Newt sitting on the mattress with his head in his hands.
"Hey, are you ok?" I gently put down my bag and sit next to him, putting my hand on his back.
He looks back at me,
"Yeah...I'm ok, just...tired." I don't entirely believe Newt, but he's never been maliciously deceitful so I go along and let him give me his cover up.
"Okay,"
We both lie down on the "bed" and he covers me up with the blanket.
"Goodnight love"
Newt gives me a small kiss on the forehead,
"Goodnight."
Before I totally fall asleep, a question came to mind, completely random, but it ate away at me like a parasite.
"Newt?"
"Yeah?"
"What do you think life would have been like if...if life was...normal?"

"There's no easy way to answer that, because. Our lives aren't normal, and I don't know if they ever will be......but, if things were the way they were before the sun flares...I imagine we would be in school now, I think they call it high school. And I think...I think all of us would still be friends. We'd all go to the same school, we'd hang out and do normal things. And you and me would have a normal relationship, or at least one that's considered normal. What do you think?"

"That sounds nice...but I think...I think I would be different. In a normal world, I wouldn't have all this sadness and pain to deal with. I could actually be happy, like truly, actually, happy. And I think that would change me. In this world I'm quiet and don't talk, I look sad and depressed all the time, mainly because I am. But, in this hypothetical, normal, world. I imagine I would open up a lot more. I would laugh a lot, and loudly, I would think it's annoying but I think others would appreciate it. I would talk a lot more and-.....like I said, just be, happy. That's all."

"You've, thought a lot about that haven't you?"

"I guess so"

"Well no matter what world we're in, the sad or the happy one. No matter who you are...I'll still love you. Because you are Penelope, you are smart, you are confidant, you are very kind, and you are funny, even though you don't show it around most people. And you are more beautiful then you realize" Newt says with a smirk, while I grin.
"What I mean by that is...Your brilliant love."
I give a shy smile,
"Now it's my turn to say nice things about you. You are Newt, you are very smart, and loyal, and extremely kind, and respectful, and you are more helpful then you realize." I say with a laugh
"And no matter what world, I will always love you."
It's Newts turn to smile and it is adorable even in the darkness of the room. After a few more words are exchanged we both fall into a comforting sleep. Preparing for tomorrows expeditions.
—————
That morning after everyone is awake, Gally takes us to a large table covered with maps, it looks almost identical to our map room back at the Right Arms base. He briefs the rest of the group on what happened in the city, thankfully he leaves out the part where I attacked Beth. Upon the news of hearing that Teresa is our way into WICKED, there is some backlash. Even I'm not fully trusting of it. She gave Minho, Aris and Sonya back to WICKED, it makes a compelling argument against her.