Chapter 1: The Light

-Years later...-

It started as a day like any other. Assignments upon assignments upon assignments, but I ignored the piles of homework sitting at the bottom of my backpack. Instead, I was helping one of my best friends, Ishigami Senku, with his latest research project.

"Senku, you still haven't explained to me how this thing's actually supposed to help us understand those stone bird things," I muttered, handing him another glass canister filled with a broken-down plastic bottle cap solution.

Senku chuckled, popping the canister into place on the filtration machine. "Well, by refining these plastic bottle caps to gasoline, I'll hopefully be able to create something potent enough to break through the stone-like outside of the petrified swallows." He turned to see my slightly confused expression before further explaining, "You know, the statue-like birds I've been showing you for the past couple of weeks?"

I leaned back against the table, a smile emerging as I glanced over at him, noticing his focused gaze returned again. "Those things? I just thought they were regular old statues some weird sculpting freak was leaving around all over the globe."

Senku paused, thinking it over for a few moments before turning his head towards me, eyebrows furrowed. "Now, how the hell would that be logical in any way, shape, or form, (Y/n)?"

I shrugged, grin widening. "Efficient way to advertise, maybe?"

My friend chuckled, shaking his head before turning back to his work. I had gone back to gazing at some of the equipment Senku was planning on using for this machine when the door to the school lab slammed open, revealing a loud brunette confidently entering the room with his fists clenched, booming, "THIS IS IT, GUYS! AFTER FIVE LONG YEARS, I'M TELLING HER HOW I FEEL!!!"

"Taiju!" I cried, my faint smile now widening as my second best friend entered. "You're finally confessing?!"

"Yeah!!"

"That's amazing!!!"

Senku, who refused to turn away from his work, spoke bluntly, "Well, both (Y/n) and I can't leave the lab right now, but we'll be sure to cheer you on from here. In fact, we'll cheer so vigorously our vocal cords snap."

Taiju's smile grew at our friend's sarcasm, which he didn't catch on to right away. "Wow, Senku, seriously?? You're the best!!"

"No, you big oaf, I won't raise my voice a millimeter for your cause, and neither will (Y/n)," Senku remarked, looking over the beaker of newly-refined gasoline. I shook my head at his attitude before turning towards Taiju and patting him on the back whilst he exclaimed at Senku's bluntness.

"Huh?? Come on, Senku! Why not??"

Senku let a small sigh escape his lips before removing the beaker from underneath the machine's filter and replacing it with an empty one, catching the rest of the clear liquid before it hit the ground. "You felt this way for five years? I can't possibly praise such illogical behavior. I refuse to believe something such as that deserves a logical response, from me, anyway." Senku glanced expectantly at the dense brunette before him, prompting, "However, here's something you could use in order for your confession to be successful."

Senku smirked, picking up the first beaker before turning back towards Taiju, falsely describing the contents' uses. "This here is a love potion of sorts. It'll max out your pheromones and make you practically irresistible, granting you a ten billion percent chance of winning her heart." The devilish smirk gracing Senku's face at the moment sent chills down my spine since I knew the true contents of that beaker.