Chapter 2: Waking Up

-1st Person POV-

"So, what're we getting into, Senku?" I chimed, rubbing my hands together. "I'm itching to get to work! Being unable to move for so long makes me wanna be productive!"

Senku chuckled, putting the straw down and shrugging off a bag that hung from his shoulder. "First of all, put these on." He tossed me the bag, allowing me to peer inside and find a pile of folded clothes, all of which were made of the same deer-skin material as his clothing and appeared to be hand-stitched by him. I stared at them, confused for a moment before I realized the real reason he handed these clothes to me.

"YAH!! WAITWAITWAIT, DON'T LOOK AT ME!!"

Senku shook his head but turned in the other direction regardless. "You know, we're in the stone world now, no one's gonna care if your butt's showing or if your dick is hanging out."

"Well, you're here, so of course I'm gonna fricking care!!!" I cried, my cheeks turning bright pink as I finished putting on the clothes. "Geez, you may not care, but I'm sure you were the first person to break out!!"

"You're not wrong," Senku replied, adding, "But, that was three months ago."

My eyes widened. "You woke up three months ago?"

Senku turned to face me, smile widening. "Yeah. I'm surprised you woke up on your own, to be entirely honest. And as fast as you did? I was ten billion percent convinced the big oaf would wake up before you."

I dramatically placed a hand over my heart, feigning offense. "I am deeply hurt, you know! I'm but your dearest and closest friend, and you hold my expectations that low? Does our friendship mean nothing to you?!?"

"Pipe down," Senku smirked, walking towards me and placing a hand on my shoulder. "It's not that I was underestimating you one bit. I've found a working hypothesis for this entire ordeal and knowing that blockhead over there-" Senku gestured over his shoulder, where the familiar (and very naked) figure of Taiju laid on the ground, in a defensive pose, "Doesn't give up so easily, I was sure he would break out first." My friend's smile faltered for a moment, his arms coming to cross over his chest. "As a matter of fact, I wanna know what exactly you spent thinking about during those 3,700 years of solitude in there."

My eyes widened at the number he gave me. "Wait, we were in there for 3,700 years???"

"I'll explain once you answer my question."

"Ah, right, right." I began fiddling with the hem of my new shirt, glancing at the ground. "Well, my initial thought was, 'Crap, it's dark and I can't move!' and then I told myself I shouldn't panic and maybe find a way out of there, whatever that was. After that, I just kind of kept myself occupied, recalling all those textbooks we read in the library, reciting formulas, I even went through the periodic table about 300,000 times. Times tables, animal names, anything I could remember from before, anything that could've been forgotten. I just kept going on, and on, and on until I got out."

A smile returned to Senku's face as he reached up and ruffled my already messy hair. "Great work, (Y/n). I always thought you forgot about those things the moment we read them in the library."

"Once again, I'm being underestimated!" I cried, no longer being able to keep up the act and bursting into laughter. "No, but for real, Senku, every once in a while, I'd wonder what you were doing," I muttered after a while, lifting my eyes to look at him. "Heh, there was a time when I was like, 'I wonder what time it is, I don't have an internal clock' or something like that, and then I thought you were probably counting the seconds the moment you couldn't move. And every time I'd think of you, I'd go right back to reciting the information I already knew, looping in an endless cycle."