Chapter 8: Back in Action

Both Senku and I stared at Taiju in absolute astonishment and defeat. ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS, TAIJU?!?

Tsukasa glanced between our trio, and at that moment I was glad Senku and I had our backs to the martial artist. "What is this miracle water you're talking about, Taiju?"

I didn't let Taiju say a single word, knowing full well he would spill the recipe faster than he could run a marathon. "Well, the science behind it's complicated, to say the least, so it would be a waste to explain it." I decorated my face with a calm yet sheepish expression, hoping it passed as normal behavior for me. "We can just show you when we get back to camp."

Taiju looked like he was going to explode with excitement. Senku chuckled, cracking his neck as we began trekking back towards camp. "You're going to witness humanity's revival first hand," Senku smirked, glancing over his shoulder at Tsukasa. "I hope you recognize how much of an honor this is."

I nodded in agreement, smile stretching across my face as I hurried over to Senku's side. He immediately grabbed my hand and held it tightly, which is when I looked over at him and noticed how thin of a line his lips were pulled into. My heart broke as I realized how grave our situation was now, my grip tightening in return to show him I felt the same. However, we didn't dare to show a single hint of weakness, and continued forward to prepare the revival fluid for Yuzuriha.

---

Arriving at camp, Senku and I began pulling out clay pots and a strainer while Tsukasa stood to the side, watching our every move. Taiju hurried over to Yuzuriha's statue, beaming as he exclaimed, "Okay, Yuzuriha, today's the day! You won't be trapped in that stone anymore!"

Senku poured the miracle water into the strainer, shaking every single drop of it out of the container before staring into the pot underneath, eyebrows furrowing in mock confusion. "The hell? We don't even have enough miracle water for one dose of the revival fluid."

Taiju's face whipped around at the scientist, eyes worried. "Huh?? Did I grab it too early?! Sorry!"

I sent Taiju a comforting grin. "Don't worry, we just have to grab some more miracle water. You can go ahead and fetch some more for us, Taiju, the three of us will find something to occupy our minds for a little bit."

Before Taiju could race off into the forest, Tsukasa caught his shoulder, a gentle yet terrifying smile etching into his face. "Out of all of us, I'm the quickest. Just tell me where to go and I'll be back sooner than you'd expect me."

My eyes darkened at Tsukasa's proposal. Man, that was too easy. He took the bait just like that? I mean, duh. Since controlling the source of revival is basically putting a stopper in Senku's and my plan, it's the obvious choice to make.

About a minute or so after Tsukasa left, Senku stretched his arms over his head, yawning, "Is Tsukasa gone?"

"Yeah, he left in a flash," Taiju grinned, staring in the direction that Tsukasa left in. "He wasn't kidding when he said he was the quick- huh?!?"

Senku and I took no time at all to gather the miracle water and alcohol, measuring the fluids before mixing them together to create the revival fluid. Taiju stared at us in confusion, eyes frantically following our every move.

"Okay then, let's hurry up and make this revival fluid and bring back Yuzuriha while he's gone!" Senku cried, working diligently.

"Wait, what's happening, guys?!" Taiju questioned desperately, confusion written all over his face. "Just a second ago you said that we didn't have the right amount of miracle water!"

"Do you really think that Senku would set out the wrong size pot?" I questioned Taiju, a small smirk appeared on my lips as he dawned onto the realization.