Ch15: Jae

I walk slowly, pushing the supermarket trolley as Taehyung follows silently, curiously looking around the stacked shelves like a kid.

"First time at the supermarket?" I tease.

"Of course not," He scoffs, crossing his arms, "It's just been a while since I've been in one."

"I'll allow you a chocolate bar if you promise to eat your veggies," I say mockingly, grabbing a shampoo bottle.

"You're nauseatingly unfunny," He replies, coming to stand beside me.

"Which shampoo do you want?" I ask as I put mine in the trolley, "I don't know which one you prefer."

"Why can't I use yours?" He asks with a straight face.

"Didn't say you can't," I shrug, "Just thought you'd want something different."

He shakes his head. "I like yours. It smells good."

"Okay," I say as I continue pushing the trolley, thoughts racing through my head. He likes my shampoo? He thinks it smells good? Does that mean he thinks I smell good? Is that an indirect compliment or am I being delusional?

I turn my head to look at Taehyung and he sticks out his tongue at me. What an overgrown child. I'm definitely being delusional.

I walk a little more before I feel Taehyung's hand on mine. I freeze in the spot and watch as he takes my hand, putting it on top of his palm.

"Your hands are very small," He notes with a small gentle smile that I don't get to witness a lot.

"Anyway." He smoothly intertwines his fingers with mine, and grabs the trolley from me with his other hand.

I keep my eyes on our held hands as he pushes the trolley nonchalantly and completely avoids eye contact. What a dork.

---

We had made our way home when I open the car trunk, taking out the grocery bags. Taehyung comes and starts grabbing the plastic bags, even the ones already in my hand.

"I can pick them up myself," I argue.

"I'm aware," He retorts as he turns his back and walks towards the apartment building.

I close the trunk and follow him inside the elevator.

"Want some help?" I offer as I lean on the wall.

"No, I'm good," Taehyung replies, both his hands full with the grocery bags.

I smile to myself as I watch him, and I break my eyes away as the elevator door opens. Taehyung steps aside, allowing me to leave first, and I feel all jittery inside for the hundredth time today. Can he stop being so attractive for one second?

Taehyung trails behind me as I fumble with my bag in search for the apartment keys. I hear a door unlock at the end of the hallway, and I look up to see Jimin walking out of his apartment, but he's not alone. I squint my eyes at the small person. It's a kid? I think to myself, before I realise. It's not just a kid.

Jimin smiles when he notices me and approaches with the kid running behind him.

"Good thing I ran into you," He says, his smile faltering for a split second as he eyes Taehyung before quickly looking back at me, "I wanted to introduce you."

"This is Jae." He steps aside to reveal a little boy not older than seven with white fluffy cat ears and a matching tail.

"Hi, Jae," I say with a smile, trying my best not to look surprised.

The boy smiles back and waves at me, and pauses once his eyes fall on Taehyung. He stares at him for a second before his hand drops and a huge grin replaces his awkward smile, his eyes brightening as he runs and wraps his arms around Taehyung's waist.

Taehyung freezes in his place, his hands carrying the bags awkwardly raised in the air in shock as he contemplates hugging the boy back. Jimin's smile falls as he watches.

"It's you!" Jae exclaims, looking up at Taehyung, "From the lab. You and the wolf saved us. You had guns and everything, you were so cool!"

Taehyung's eyes flash in realisation as he sets the bags down and hugs the boy back, gently patting his head. Jae must be one of the kids from the experimental lab.

"The wolf is still your friend, right?" The little boy adds, "Can you tell him I said thank you?"

Taehyung pauses, glancing at me quickly before averting his gaze back to Jae. Slowly, a sad smile graces his lips before nodding in acquiescence.

"I'll tell him," He says softly.

"Jae," Jimin calls for the boy, his face grim.

His eyes meet Taehyung's for a moment, but he immediately looks away. Jae walks back to Jimin and holds his hand.

"I gotta go," Jimin says to me as he passes me and Taehyung by.

Taehyung picks up the bags again, and we silently make our way to the apartment.