Ch21: Life Isn't This Cruel

Third Person POV

"You've been in bed all day," Hanseol says, brushing the hair away from her boyfriend's face.

Taehyung opens his eyes, a lazy smile gracing his lips as he presses his face into the pillow.

"It's because I took an extra shift last night," He replies, his voice barely above a whisper.

Her smile faltering, Hanseol hums in response, wanting to believe that this is the only reason why. Taehyung senses the tension, so he takes her free hand and places a kiss on her palm, his fingers brushing her silver bracelet. The one he bought her, the one she hasn't taken off since the day he gave it to her.

"I'll take you out tonight. Where do you want to go?"

Hanseol shrugs in response. "Anywhere is fine." She pauses. "Actually, scratch that. I want to wear my blue dress, so anywhere without much action. Like, definitely not a skating rink. We can go window shopping and get some coffee."

Taehyung chuckles. "You really love that blue dress, don't you?"

"I'm going to wear it all spring and summer long. Also, I think it goes really well with my bracelet." She holds up her hand to his face.

He takes hold of her hand again, placing another kiss on her hand, this time on her wrist, right above her bracelet.

Seol's face goes red. "I didn't know you could be this... "

Taehyung raises an eyebrow. "Romantic? Handsome? Perfect?"

She rolls her eyes playfully. "Touchy. And clingy."

"You love it."

"I never said I was complaining."

She lets him take her into his arms, and she closes her eyes as she takes in his soapy smell, the scent of her shampoo still lingering in his hair. Surely the universe wouldn't be too cruel to end these moments soon, Seol thinks, life isn't this cruel.

But Taehyung's life has always been cruel. He knows that soon, and very soon, the universe is going to take him away from her. Because he knows happiness doesn't last long for him. It never did. Not with his grandma, not with the woman who treated him like her own son, not with Seokjin, so definitely not with Seol.

"Alright," Taehyung murmurs, his nose buried in her hair, "Let's go window shopping and get come coffee tonight."

---

Seol brushes away the non-existent dust off her blue dress one last time before heading out the apartment door, Taehyung right behind her. They stop in their tracks when they see Jimin unlocking his own apartment door.

"Hi," Seol says carefully.

Jimin turns to look at them, a small polite smile on his face. "Hey. You're heading out?"

"Yeah."

"Be careful," He says, locking his eyes with Taehyung for a second, "Hate crimes are on the rise. Two hybrids were shot dead last week."

He doesn't wait for a response before walking inside and closing the door.

"You know what," Seol says as Jimin's words spike fear through her, "Maybe we shouldn't go out tonight."

"Don't be ridiculous." Taehyung holds her hand and drags her towards the elevator. "It's going to be fine."

Seol lets out a heavy breath as she matches Taehyung's pace, pushing her anxious thoughts to the back of her mind.

"Jimin's starting to come around," She says, looking up at her boyfriend, "He looked at you, told you to be careful. I told you he'll come around."

Taehyung hums nonchalantly in response as they make their way to the streets. Seol had insisted that the weather was too good to take the car, so they had to walk there instead. Taehyung doesn't mind. If anything, he prefers walking with her; all her attention is on him this way, instead of on the road. It doesn't help that she's not a great driver, but he never told her that.

It's late into the night by the time they're done walking through busy streets, judging clothes they can never afford while sipping on iced coffee. Seol's hand clenches around Taehyung's as they make their way home through the dimly lit streets, lampposts leaving shadows in their wake.

"What's wrong?" Taehyung asks.

"We should've went home earlier." Seol shudders. "It's too dark. How didn't we realise it got so late?"

"Stop being dramatic. It's going to be fine."

"Famous last words."

"Hey." Taehyung stops in his tracks and turns to face her, holding her chin. "There's nothing to be scared of. I'm here. I'll protect you."

Seol lets out a breath. "It's not me I'm worried about."

"I like it when you worry about me," He says with a sassy grin, "But I'm more than capable of defending myself and you know that better than anyone."

"Right." She nods to herself. "Let's just hurry home."