Ch23: Dull Memory

Everything passes Taehyung in a blur like a speeding train. First, there were the oh-so-familiar sirens, then the white cloth over her face, then the handcuffs around his bloodied hands as the police dragged him to the station. They didn't listen to him, and apparently they suspected him. Taehyung only assumed it was because he is a hybrid. He was allowed one phone call, and he dialed Namjoon, knowing that he's the only likely person to get him out of this since he's done it before. And he did.

Taehyung vaguely remembers the ride home in Namjoon's car, Namjoon's trembling voice as he told him over and over again that everything's going to be okay, Namjoon making a phone call and Yoongi's voice on the speaker. He was so calm that Taehyung wondered if he even heard what Namjoon told him. Hanseol is dead. Yoongi replied with a gentle "I see", and went on about the funeral preparations.

Taehyung also vaguely remembers Namjoon stopping at a hospital, and when Taehyung threw him a confused look, Namjoon smiled softly, pity shining in his eyes as he said "Have you seen your face? We need to patch you up." Only then did Taehyung recognise the dull pain in his jaw, his throbbing ribs and back, his pounding headache. Right, he was attacked, but that, too, is a dull memory in the back of his head.

Taehyung's head doesn't seem to clear until he wakes up with a start on Seol's bed, the apartment door banging loudly. He doesn't even remember going home last night. Namjoon must have dropped him off. His head is throbbing in pain as he sits up on bed, and he hears the apartment door swinging open. His heart hammers against his chest and his eyes widen as he runs out of the bedroom, but he stops in his tracks upon seeing Yoongi standing in the living room, clad in a suit and holding a garment bag in his hand.

Taehyung takes a second to figure out his thoughts. Did he really think it was Seol? That she somehow would come back home after she had just died in his arms last night?

"You need to lock your front door." Yoongi tosses the bag towards Taehyung. "Get dressed, and make it quick."

Taehyung catches the bag and unzips it to find a suit inside. Where Yoongi got the suit from, or how he knew Taehyung didn't have one, Taehyung doesn't know and doesn't care as he puts it on and follows Yoongi out the door. 

The funeral is another dull memory Taehyung blocks out. There's too many people, more than Taehyung can count, and he only recognises a few, including Seol's parents whom has met once on Christmas, and was introduced to as Seol's friend. Taehyung wonders if she told them they had been dating. He sees Namjoon and his girlfriend, Sarang. And he sees Jimin and the little hybrid boy, Jae, whom Taehyung tries his best to avoid. If Jimin didn't hate him before, then he surely does now. Maybe Taehyung deserves the hate, maybe it is all his fault. 

Taehyung's mind stops being hazy when he kneels in front of Seol's grave and stares at a picture of her smiling at him. A figure shadows over him and he looks up to see Jae holding a white flower in his hand.

"It's going to be okay," Jae says, gently patting Taehyung's head before placing the flower on the stone.

"Jae!"

A voice calls from a distance, and Jae throws Taehyung a smile before turning around and running to Jimin whose glares Taehyung doesn't fail to notice.

"I don't care what that fucker thinks." Yoongi stands behind Taehyung with crossed arms. "I don't think it's your fault."

"Then whose?"

"Those motherfuckers who killed her, who else? Seriously, I thought you were smarter than this, dumbass." Yoongi ends his statement with a chuckle as he squats down beside Taehyung.

Taehyung turns his head to him in disbelief. "Are you seriously laughing right now?"

Yoongi's smile falls. "Just because I'm not sobbing like a little bitch doesn't mean I don't care. What, you think she meant more to you than she did to me? She was my sister, you son of a bitch."

Taehyung blinks, having not seen Yoongi this angry before, a silent kind of angry that makes him immediately say, "I'm sorry."

"Wanna go get a drink?" Yoongi offers, his voice much calmer than a second ago, as if he understands that Taehyung didn't mean it that way, and that it's definitely not the time to be having silly fights. "My treat."

"I'll pass."

"Alright." Yoongi stands up with a sigh. "I'm gonna go get drunk at home so I don't end up with an ass tattoo like last time."

Taehyung furrows his eyebrows, looking up at Yoongi in confusion. "You have an ass tattoo?"

"Wouldn't you want to know?" Yoongi says with a smug smile.

"I don't," He adds after a pause, "Just thought it would be funny to say."

Taehyung rolls his eyes, a smile almost tugging at his lips.

"See ya." Yoongi walks away, stops in his tracks, and turns back to Taehyung. "You know you're moving back in with me, right? After we take care of Seol's apartment and shit."

"Thank you."

"Yeah. I'll get going now. Don't stay here for too long."

Taehyung keeps his eyes on the gravestone as Yoongi walks away.

---

A/N: I will accept anything you throw at me atp go on let it out I have zero excuses for my actions and I'm ready to face the consequences